Huh Yorkie in Full Show Coat - Need Help

I have a new client who has a Yorkie in a long show style coat although the dog is not in competition. She just likes the look. I have trimmed the dog once and the owner was happy. Most of the Yorkies that I groom have fuller coats so this is new to me. She asked me for suggestions on the hair in the rear since the dog always wets itself when it pees and she then has to clean her up daily. I don't think there is much I could do to help her out except shape the area a bit but then the uniform length is gone. How do people with show styles on these toy drop coats keep them dry? Any Yorkie owners out there who have show coats?

They are kept wrapped. If you are shaving a sanitary area, STOP. It actually leads to wetting issues. The hair on the vulva will actually direct the urine down to the ground.

I keep my cockers butt rubber banded to keep stuff from getting stuck. She could try that, but show yorkies are kept wrapped in waxed paper with rubber bands most of the time.

My friend with the show poodles also has two yorkies she shows and maltese. Same thing goes for both breeds.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Default paper wraps

i used to keep a yorkie in show- the papers that are used for perms are the trick. Part and separate the hair, condition then wrap the ends in paper, fold it over a couple of times and use a small rubber band.
    Had this countess who like it better than a real groom - the darn dog never finished but she kept it wrapped for years. Had to go oil and rewrap 3 times a week! got worn out but it did keep the hair off the dirty streets although you could hear her papers swishing when she walked... lol

Not Worthy

Quote Originally Posted by Particentral View Post
    They are kept wrapped. If you are shaving a sanitary area, STOP. It actually leads to wetting issues. The hair on the vulva will actually direct the urine down to the ground.

I keep my cockers butt rubber banded to keep stuff from getting stuck. She could try that, but show yorkies are kept wrapped in waxed paper with rubber bands most of the time.

My friend with the show poodles also has two yorkies she shows and maltese. Same thing goes for both breeds.
    Parti- you are so awesome. So helpful and well versed- bless your presence here!!
    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    www.ChrisSertzel.com

Unless you are showing the dog, I cant see the point in wrapping a dog. they keep it that way because they like the look. I have a client that has a shih in full coat and they have chosen to teach the dog to use a doggie litter box to help eliminate sanitary issues and also wipe her bum after each potty. I think she stinks all the time from this ,but that makes them happy.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Quote Originally Posted by windywaycavaliers View Post
    Parti- you are so awesome. So helpful and well versed- bless your presence here!!

Well thank you! I am not sure what to say....... Perm wraps do work well but she (my friend) uses waxed paper sheets cut the size of perm wraps becuase the wax on it keeps the paper dry unlike perm wraps that get wet.

I always knew from school that dogs with coat were kept wrapped when showing, but had never seen it actually done until I met Marilyn, here in town. Watching her do it is amazing. I have actually done it with my cocker as well during bouts of his IBS which is devastating to his white coat in the back end. Rubber bands for general daily use (and they come out every day and go back in again to prevent matting) and waxed paper wraps when needed.....
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain