Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shih Tzu and wolves

Last night I watched Dog 101. They said that the Shih Tzu was the most closely dog genetically related to the wolf, however; I can't seem to find any information to qualify this statement. Anybody see this episode?

Default That sound ridiculous

Breeds like the Shepherds and sled dogs are most closely related, is what I heard years ago.

How the heck could a SHIH TZU be closer than so many other breeds - hahahaha. "Yes, in the wild, Shih Tzus would roam with their insulated, weather-resistant coats, hardly stopping to get their bangs trimmed so they could see their prey....."

LMAO. That reminds me of a customer asking me years ago how dogs like Shih Tzus survived in the wild. I told them that most of the dogs we have today never were in the wild, they mutated or were purposely bred by people. Some people still think the hair over the eyes of long-coated breeds is necessary (had one lady crying cuz the MAILMAN told her that her Yorkie would go blind since she had the bangs cut), and so on. People bred the long coats and all those things that would be a liability "in the wild".

At least, that's as far as I have read.

Default did not see it...

But some of the shih tzu's i groom act like wolves sometimes...grrr...chomp, LOL

That makes no sense at all. lol I wonder where they got that from?

I saw that episode, I think they said that because Shih tzus are a really old breed? I could be wrong though.

Really Big Laugh

Quote Originally Posted by windfall4 View Post
    I saw that episode, I think they said that because Shih tzus are a really old breed? I could be wrong though.
    That is what they said.....but come on!!! What's up Animal Planet?

Remember the Labradoodles that rub their mats off on rocks in the wild?

Really Big Laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    But some of the shih tzu's i groom act like wolves sometimes...grrr...chomp, LOL
    Right? I do way too many like this.......ok I'm convinced!

I find most shih tzu's are the most likely to not want to be groomed. I'm sure the wolf has that in common.LOL Other than that I don't see the resemblance.

LOL Pink Needed this thread on this cold, snowy night

<<Remember the Labradoodles that rub their mats off on rocks in the wild? >>

I think the breeders (of the ones I see) of the doodles, tell prospective buyers this. Funny how the mats are always still there though.

Deb

So does it mean that if you bred a shih-tzu to a wolf that you would pretty much get pups that look mostly like wolves? Maybe miniture wolves?

I wouldn't put much confidence in mtDNA testing. Basically it's almost impossible to distinguish dog haplotypes from wolf haplotypes, some dogs have coyote haplotypes and some wolves as well have coyote haplotypes and some wolves have dog haplotypes. It's neat when you read proper mtDNA research and realize just how poor it is at determining genealogical relationships.
    Last edited by Athena; 02-04-09 at 06:10 AM.

Huh Chimps & Humans

I think they mean they are most closely related genetically. Like Chimps to humans...Like there may be a monkey that [B]looks[/B] more like a human, but it doesn't mean that their genes are the most similar. So just because they don't look like them or act as much like them as other dogs, does not mean that the genetics are WAY different...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast