Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Whoa How to make bows stiff?

I have perfected my bow making skills, other then I can't seem to find the right product to make them stiff. I have tried starch, which makes them stiff enough to keep their shape, but I have seen and felt other bows that were very very stiff. {almost with like a glue or something???} Please help.

There is a spray you can get, try Hobby Lobby or Michaels. I dont know the name off hand.
    Stiffen Stuff is one I think. WalMart probably has it too.
    What does a dog do on it's day off?

Well....if you live in one of the 36 states having weather like MD is tonight, just leave them outside. That'll "stiffen" them!
    Sorry I can't help you out, more than that....but I'm sure someone else will be able to!
    Good luck!!!!!

fabric stiffener that you can get at any fabric store. I have bows that I made for Christmas last year that are still stiff.
    "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

all i found was a fabric stiffner, and i apply it with a paintbrush. works well!!

Talking

I just spray mine with extra hold hairspray.

You can buy the spray on fabric stiffeners at the craft stores, OR do what my 95 year old grandmas does with Doilie Snowflakes. Use CLEAR KNOX GELATIN. Make it according to the package directions, then soak the bow with it (you could probably spray it if you did it while the gelatin is hot, then let it dry. her snowflakes she crocheted are stiff three years later. DO NOT use pink or green gelatin however as it stains the fabric those colors. She has some really pretty colored snowflakes.......
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

you can go to most craft stores and get it fabric stiffner.stiff stuff is one of the brands but their are others you can get.

Laugh

Thank you guys for your help! I will try a couple of these suggestions and see which ones work best.

Default bow stiffener

i have tried the spray on stiffener to try to get mine stiff like Hot Bows. it takes several coats and several times in the microwave before they get real stiff. i think i'll try the knox gelatin theory. it worked on my mohawk in the 80's so i'm sure a bow would be a piece of cake! thanks for the suggestion!

On this topic....how do you keep the tails from fraying? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FLGIRL View Post
    On this topic....how do you keep the tails from fraying? Thanks!
    I use a lighter and melt the ends. I have to be careful, some ribbon is more likely to start on fire than melt.
    "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast