Question comfortis flea control

I live in florida where the fleas are non ending. Several of my clients have asked me about comfortis. I myself have 3 dogs and fight this consistantly.
    I understand that is a monthly oral treatment. Has anyone used it, or know of someone who does? I do know that it is perscription only and have looked on line to find a few side effects but no information on long term use etc.

We have disscussed it at length on this board, so if you search you will find lots of information. I have been using it since the day it came available to me and have not seen a flea since. I use it about every two months, not every month and oly treat half my dogs. It is amazing. i had a client that was on the clinical trials, so her cocker has been on it for several years. He had always been infested. Not a flea since. She is using it when she sees fleas t monthly. My vet says to everyone, use it two m onths straight, then watch the dogs, If you don;t find fleas, don't worry. I have not treated my yard, shop or house since we started using it. Toto, who goes to work with me, gets it about once a month. He is my flea magnet and goes to work everyday. everyone else is given it as needed.

GREAT product. LOVE IT!
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

My vet is recommending it and some of my clients use it with good results here in TX, where fleas are pretty bad. I personally don't use it on my own dogs, they have always been on Sentinel and I am reluctant to switch as I have never had a flea problem with them.

Default Darn good!

I used it on my dogs this fall because of the horrible flea season in this area. Capstar and Comfortis both kill fleas faster than the other popular flea treatments (Frontline and Advantage), so this is important to me with my allergy-prone Bichon. The sooner the fleas stop biting, the less allergic reaction she has. So in a year such as this, where the flea population was insanely high in our area, she was suffering. I switched to the Comfortis, which stopped her from enduring multiple flea bites before the fleas died, which stopped her allergic reaction.

Comfortis is supposed to be given after a full meal because its most common side effect is to make the dog vomit, I believe. I use a proportional dosage for my dogs, especially for small dogs! For instance, if something is good for dogs up to 25 pounds, I usually half it for my 11-pound dogs. I forget the Comfortis dosage, but you can look up the minimal effective dosage per pound. I even buy the large size and divide it up, since I have 5 dogs.

Although people often think Frontline or Advantage "aren't working", they need 24 hours and 12 hours respectively, I think, to kill fleas. Advantage works better on my allergic dog than Frontline for this reason: again, less bites, less allergic reaction. In a bad year such as this, where she could pick up new fleas every day just from pottying outdoors, a person could see fleas every day, even though some were also dying every day!

Anyway, it is a really good treatment that appears to be well-tolerated. Although I don't see the need to switch totally to Comfortis, it certainly is effective, and neater than the oily topicals.

I am one of those who does NOT treat my dogs monthly, only as needed. I dislike giving them more chemicals than necessary. I also like the advice of the poster who was told to use it for two months, then as needed.

Confused Comfortis BE CAREFUL!!!!

Hi, I used the Comfortis on my English Mastiff and it about did him in! First, he started vomitting after giving him the med. That was not the problem...he became very listless, would not even lift his head up. He could not eat; I had to give him water by forcing in his mouth... He did not want to walk, or even come out of our room when the doorbell rang, etc. (That was not like him at all).
    Horrible! I called the manufacturer and she told me some dogs just cannot take this medicine. It worked great on the fleas but my poor doggie was miserable. My friend has given it to her Maltese and no problems there. Go figure. Make sure you check with your vet before you give this med and make sure it is on a very full stomach.

Some dogs do not do well on it, but that is true of ANY medication, including Frontline.

The key is to use the smallest dose possible (I also buy the large sizes and split them up or dissolve them in liquid for easier adminstering). If the dog was not tolerant of the higher dose, you go smaller. I always try to use as little as possible which is why we have not use it since we have not seen a flea.

Dogs with seizure disorders, or are prone to them and dogs that have had reactions to other flea meds (like Capstar) should not take this medication (MAN I sound like a commercial!).

AS for consulting your vet first, yes you would have to because it is listed for sale by prescription only. You have to get it through your vet.

It is funny that only one of my dog ev er had a slight reaction to it and she is my old girl poodle. Almost 16 (we are guessing based on how long I have a history on her) and all she did was throw it up after about 45 minutes. SHe is also flea free, but I skipped her last time I dosed everyone.

I wanted to add that on this medication, you do not have to treat the houe or the yard to kill an infestation. It kills the fleas really fast, before they can lay eggs, so it breaks the cycle and then keeps them out of the environment, which in turn keeps them off the dogs. That is why I do not have to treat every dog for it to work. Best thing going as far as I am concerned.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Animated Wink good and bad

i am im florida, i have used it on my dog. the first dose there were no problems, but the second she vomited. you need to dose correctly. my dog is 22 lbs. they gave me 20-40lb dose. break in half and do half dose. as far as vets go, i have found some recommend and some are against. it works great, specially in florida. but give a smaller dose.

its poison and I don't put any poison on or in my dogs. I have used a pest control company to do the yard and the house the beginning of spring and I've never seen a flea since. There are other healthier ways to deal with them than putting those harsh chemicals in your dogs bloodstream. IMHO

Default splitting comfortis?

Thank you all for the info, I tried it, and it worked great on my schnazer, however, i am reluntant to use on my terrier mix because he is on phenobarbital. It does seem to have lessened the problem on all three of my dogs. So, I really appreciate that info. Several of you have stated that you split the pill. My vet said you can not because it is not scored, and the same amount may not be in both halves. I called the company, and they told me the same thing. So, are they just trying to make us buy more, or do you think this is true?
    It is very expensive and spitting it would be great, I am not concerned about one not getting enough, but one getting too much.
    thanks for the info

Hair, you do not live where we do. Our pest control companies would tell you you need to have them come monthly or biweekly in the summers and then you are poisoning the groundwater supply and numerous animals that might come into contact with the spray. the pest control sprays are toxic in so many ways to everyone.

It is really no different than Comfortis except it affects more creatures and more environmental concerns and does not work as effectively.

Have you checked on the stats for pest control applicators getting sick with cancers, respiratory illnesses, and other complaints? It is really vey high.

i THINK used correctly, Comfortis is safe and so are Frontline and Advantage, but used incorrectly, anything can cause a problem, including water and air.

I use it only when I see Fleas. I am NOT going to give it to my dogs monthly whether they need it or not. I think that the benefits far outweigh the problems.

here's a very detail article for you.
    http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=1&SourceID=52

Hair, sorry, AGAIN this article DOES NOT SAY ANYTHING that we have not already said. It never says it is not safe or that there are side effects we have not mentioned. In fact, I find that article reassuring.