Default White hairs on a black dog

This isn't really a health concern, but I'm really wondering what it is. My black Standard poodle is 7 months old and a couple months ago I noticed one long, thick, coarse white hair growing on her tail. But today I just noticed these white hairs are growing all over her back, too! I'm really confused! Can someone tell me why my black dog seems to be turning white?

Natalie

I know it is common for black dogs to get white hairs mixed in, although 7 months is a bit early...Most black dogs do not stay pure black-if you see older jet black dogs, they are typically dyed...

Maybe he is turning silver. Mine is a silver, he was almost black when I adopted him

I'm not an expert and don't really know the answer to your question. But this is what I've noticed. I have a black poodle who has a lot of white/gray hair all through her coat. She is at least 12 yrs old, but she has had them forever. I groom a couple of other black poodles who have also grown the white/gray hair. I've been grooming one of them since she was a puppy and the older she gets the more white/gray hair appears. I'm just guessing it is the norm with these dogs.
    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
    Diane

Quote Originally Posted by scullysmom View Post
    Maybe he is turning silver. Mine is a silver, he was almost black when I adopted him
    I don't think that's what it is, these hairs are a bit different texture, heavier and thicker than her black fur. Also she's been jet black since the day I met her and the breeder told me she'd be black. The white hairs are spaced out on her back and hard to see if you're not looking for them, but you can certainly find them. Also the entire hair is growing pure white, as white as paper, not gray/silver at the base like I believe silvers do.

Natalie

It's not uncommon to find these guard hairs on poodles, usually they do have more texture. Try plucking them out and see if they grow back. I wouldn't worry about it, it's very acceptable to have white guard hairs in the coat. If I remember right usually they show up on a very good poodle coat. Your dog is still considered black and the guard hairs would be acceptable in the show ring.

I have groomed several "black poodles". Two of them, a mini and a standard had those white hairs and they started appearing about the same age as your dog. Both dogs ended up with about 40-45% of their hairs being white. I asked about them on another board but never go a definitive answer.

Lisa

I groom a puppy Scotty that has some white hairs. I have to be careful or I will sit there and pluck them out for hours.
    "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom View Post
    I have groomed several "black poodles". Two of them, a mini and a standard had those white hairs and they started appearing about the same age as your dog. Both dogs ended up with about 40-45% of their hairs being white. I asked about them on another board but never go a definitive answer.

Lisa
    So did the dogs end up looking gray, or like more of a roan? I think I'll email her breeder today and see if she knows anything about it.

Natalie

It is normal. All poodles have this come in at about this age. The coat is changing. And it is normal to have the white hairs. In fact it is pretty neccessary to have those white hairs. That is how judges know you aren't dying your dog!!!! All poodles will get this coat change, and they all fade over time. I am lucky that my black standard has really kept quite a bit of his color. He'as 7 yrs old. His sister however faded pretty fast. Don't get your undies in a bunch. Read up on poodles. And you will be reassured that your poodle is totally normal and just fine.