Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default That yellow stripe on Westie dorsal area

What the heck causes that yellow stripe down the middle of their back?

I card my westies (I'm sad, I only groom 2 of them, but it's one of my favorite breeds to groom!), and I use good shampoos, I clipper WITH the grain, #7 skip, but not sure what to do about the one westie with the yellow dorsal area.

I swear the other one looked that way too, when I started grooming her, but if it was, it's not so dark now, very very pale color down the dorsal area. But the other is yellow!

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Spikey

These are just my thoughts, not sure if I'm correct.

The cream or yellow that you see, I believe might be a throw back to when Carins and Westies were the same breed. Off the top of my head I don't remmember when they were seperated as two different breeds.

So it may be a genetic throw backd to color. I see some as well, not very many.

I don't know the answer either, but was wondering if it had anything to do with the dogs skin. We know that dogs and cats both will sometimes be very greasy along the dorsal midline or will develop clogged pores, sores, etc. when allergies come into play along that same area. Perhaps it is related to the dog's health or diet in some way? I like Fast Ellie's ponder, too.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States

No No I did

a 12 week old westie pup today...and he already had that yellow stripe going on!!! He is a mixture of puppy coat(fluff everywhere!) and a little of the corser hair coming in. I used Les Pooch whitening shampoo and he glistened in the sunlight with the exception of that yellow spot....but what a sweetie he was.....

I groom a ton of Westies and have seen it many times. Haven't a clue! Hope someone on the board knows.

Not sure genetic wise what's going on, but I know that a lot of cream colored breeds have that. My std poodle has more cream along his topline, and my assistant's white GSD has the same marking. I've noticed it on many Westies as well. I think its just a darker version of the cream. Maybe it is a throwback, that makes sense to me.
    Erin
    No Fur, No Paws, No Service.
    [url]www.LittleShopOfHowlers.com[/url]

I was thinking something to do with the skin, and that gland above the tail that causes that icky flaking and oil along the back. But not sure.

Helly? OHhhhh HELLLLLLLLY???? Where are you? Anybody else???

Tammy in Utah

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
    I was thinking something to do with the skin, and that gland above the tail that causes that icky flaking and oil along the back. But not sure.

Helly? OHhhhh HELLLLLLLLY???? Where are you? Anybody else???

Tammy in Utah
    Gland above the tail that causes that icky flaking and oil along the back? What the heck are you talking about? Are you perhaps referring to the supracaudal gland, which is a large oil gland ON the tail? The one that can get infected, and cause "Stud Tail"?

But as for the rest of it, I'm fairly certain it's partly excessive sebum. And throw in the element of oxidation and reaction to sunlight...after all, it is on the back, which receives a lot of sunlight, and we all know (I hope) that sunlight causes yellowing to cotton and wool fabrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Helly View Post
    Gland above the tail that causes that icky flaking and oil along the back? What the heck are you talking about? Are you perhaps referring to the supracaudal gland, which is a large oil gland ON the tail? The one that can get infected, and cause "Stud Tail"?
    Pardon my boo boo, Helly. I thought it was at the base of the tail. Either way, YES, that's the one I'm talkin' about. Doesn't it secrete ...stuff? LOL

Tammy in Utah

Default Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Ellie View Post
    Spikey

The cream or yellow that you see, I believe might be a throw back to when Carins and Westies were the same breed. Off the top of my head I don't remmember when they were seperated as two different breeds.

this is exactly the correct answer- it is not considered a fault but then you never see it on the show dogs because they are so chalked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Ellie View Post
    Spikey

Yes- I had a well-known Westie breeder tell me long ago that dogs- whether kept in true coat or not (clipped vs. stripped)- that had this color were not well bred. What have you all heard?
    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    www.ChrisSertzel.com

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
    Pardon my boo boo, Helly. I thought it was at the base of the tail. Either way, YES, that's the one I'm talkin' about. Doesn't it secrete ...stuff? LOL

Tammy in Utah
    Yes, it secretes "stuff". It's an oil gland. It secretes oil. It doesn't cause a problem unless it gets plugged, and then infected, and secretes a lot of other nasty "stuff".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast