Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Add-on Services & Specialty Retail

So many groomers write or call looking for ways to expand their sources of revenue, and the natural answer is 1) add-on services and 2) pet boutique specialty retail including bakery.

However, not everyone can invest in a lot of inventory. Perhaps with your input we can share amongst each other what retail items sell best for you.

Well I refer a lot of them here to listen to members like perhaps you.

Which add-on services and retail sells best in your business.

Is there retail that actually moves in a mobile business?

Thanks for helping others.

Default Small Retail Area

It is expensive to carry inventory and much of what I have purchased, I still have. I wished I had done a little more research before just buying things. First, it is good to have products to rotate so don't put everything out at once. Also it helps to move things around. I have moved things and then had people buy them like they never saw them before.

Things that sell the most, treats -- especially healthy ones but lots of pigs ears as well. I buy them in large quantities and sell them individually.

I sell Miracle Coat foam for the inbetween baths for those people that want to freshen up their pet but don't really want to bathe them.

I have sold collars and leashes but the problem is that you have to have such a variety to incorporate different tastes and then sizes that it gets to be cumbersome. I sell toys but they only buy the cheap ones.

Christmas time, I sell dog stockings, antler ears, reindeer ears ... things like that.

I haven't tried selling shampoo and conditioners. I just bought some brushes and put them out.

My newest endeavor is I have found a pet store that went out of business and I am going to set her product out and add a % on for me. It is great because I can try a bunch of stuff without having to outlay $$. If it doesn't sell, I give it back to her. I'll keep you posted as to what sells.

gluergirl Guest

Agree Good thread, I'm going to add retail!!!

I am planning on going into retail as well, in late summer or early fall. I am looking at shampoo lines, treats, toys, leashes and collars. Things that I use, and items that are hard to find around here. I will have a limited budget to work with and start off small. I already have clients that want to buy from me, so the things they are asking for I will carry for sure. I am looking at shelving set ups and lighting, as well as a feature of the month, which will be a package deal of various items.
    Any suggestions into what sells and what doesn't would be appreciated. I am really looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say and how the sales are affected by the seasons, and which holidays to get special things in stock for.
    Thanks in advance for all the great replies

hey you guys, how is it going with your retail?

I wonder what really sells.
    but i am 90% sure that I will be mobile, instead of a shop with in a years time.
    i wonder if just a few select items would be good.

Tech

We sell PetzLife and apply it and have had good results and sales. It's natural and easy to apply the owner.

By the way they sell for humans too. I use it at night while sleeping and I got a better hygiene checkup!! LOL

Default Updates?

I'm hoping to take my business mobile next year and still wondering if holding retail would be worth it.

I have noticed people are using amazon to sell items, has anyone else seen this? I'm not sure of the percentage amazon takes but it might be an easier way than keeping stock of things.

Quote Originally Posted by K-9 Kutz Studio View Post
    I'm hoping to take my business mobile next year and still wondering if holding retail would be worth it.

I have noticed people are using amazon to sell items, has anyone else seen this? I'm not sure of the percentage amazon takes but it might be an easier way than keeping stock of things.
    I have a few things on Amazon, but I have to hold inventory. They take 12% of everything and only disperse twice a month, plus it's $39.99/month to keep the items on there. They offer fufillment by Amazon, but I would have to ship the items to their warehouse and pay for storage, etc. I make about $200/month off Amazon right now between my businesses.

Thundershirts are my biggest sellers, mainly because they have an MAP policy and don't let people sell below a certain price. I also allow customers to custom order collars, leashes, apparel, and brushes and combs that I'll deliver at their next appointment since I'm housecall. Right now I just do that by word of mouth, but I may have it listed on the website too. If I have a month to get the items, I can add a few things together to meet a minimum.

I sell treats from Tail Bangers with a 200.00 min its super easy to start. 200.00 is about 6 boxes of cookies. What i do is i call them and i order split boxes so in each box comes 2 shapes instead of one and i now have 12 baked goods to choose from rather than one. There .99 each they sell for 2.00 each Great mark up and a huge seller. There so cute and real looking..

Quote Originally Posted by czyzyk2009 View Post
    I sell treats from Tail Bangers with a 200.00 min its super easy to start. 200.00 is about 6 boxes of cookies. What i do is i call them and i order split boxes so in each box comes 2 shapes instead of one and i now have 12 baked goods to choose from rather than one. There .99 each they sell for 2.00 each Great mark up and a huge seller. There so cute and real looking..
    Where do you sell them?

I know an anxious dog that wears thundershirts and it does seem to help. Not a cure of course, but yep does help. Does anyone know a limit as to how many hours they should wear. I think 24 hours just wouldn't be good for the coat and skin, so just daytime??

My guy wears his thunder shirt more than not. Especially during thunderstorm season. He gets really ancy if I take it off during this time.

Thundershirts work really well my little anxious one. She is a rescue and gets anxious easily especially with anyone knocking at the door, deliveries and strangers. She is definitely quieter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast