Default Comfortis and seizures

As with any product, I like to know the pros and cons of it. I looked up Comfortis today and found this interesting article, and thought I'd share.

http://marvistavet.com/html/body_spinosad.html

Default Thanks

Not only that, but a dog with a seizure disorder is believed to be more susceptible to seizures with any toxic kind of product they might be exposed to. It would make some sense if this product is to create seizures in fleas, then it might be more responsible for seizures in dogs. Since my primary breed, Brittanys, are real prone to seizures I will leave this product on the Vets shelves.
    Last edited by Arrooh; 08-05-08 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typo
    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

I think it's important to keep this in perspective. Some dogs with pre-existing seizure disorders broke with seizures when given a higher than normal dose of the product. And there really isn't any way to be sure the product was responsible or not.

Given at the correct dosage, Comfortis appears to be pretty safe, and it's definitely effective. If I had a dog that I knew already has a seizure disorder I'd probably opt for another form of flea control. But I wouldn't necessarily avoid it just because I have a breed that's prone to seizure disorders. There comes an age where you can be pretty sure that a dog who hasn't broke with seizures isn't going to, barring some other disease process or a head injury.

No, I don't think I'd avoid it all together (unless the dog was prone to seizures). But I think that if I did have a breed that was prone to them I'd avoid it, just to be on the safe side.
    I just thought that it was interesting, and I'd like to see more studies being done on it, and know what the long term effect of it are.

The problems in pregnant dogs and nursing dogs as well as dogs with seizure disorders were found when higher than normal doses were given. I would not avoid it unless I KNEW my dog had seizures, but then again, I would avoid most everything with my dogs that have had seizures.

I have seen seizures start in older dogs, like over 10 years old out of the blue. NEVER had one prior then needed to be medicated to control them. I will take my chances. I will say that 8 weeks ago I gave the dogs at my house their second dose of Comfortis and not one flea has been found since.
    I will not give it again until I see fleas......I didnt treat my house and didnt treat my yard.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain