Default Yellow Labs vs Choc and Black

I've noticed that yellow Labs take me longer than chocolate or black. Does anyone else find this? They tend to be greasier and take longer to wash, plus I use more expensive shampoo on them to degrease. They also take forever to dry and even seem harder to deshed. Seems like I always hand them back with loose hairs while a choc or black you can russel the hair and get none. I have 2 chocolates that take me barely an hour each. They take like 15 min to dry vs the 30 min I spend on a yellow. I'm mobile and I can set up, do both chocolates, clean up and leave in barely 2 hours while if I do a house with 2 yellows, I'm there for at least 2.5. One yellow can take me an hour 15-20 while the choc or black will take me 50 min - just under an hour... I'm seriously considering charging more for yellow Labs Today I did the chocolates and it was super humid and I had my air conditioner off while drying (this house doesn't support both) and they STILL dried fast. If they were yellow I would have had to give them back a little damp... Anyone else notice this?

Wink

i'm not sure about this i have a mix of them when it comes to grooming time the ones i have seem to be the yellow that are smaller then black most chocolate are huge and have tons of hair but i do also have some yellow (cream ) that have that fuzzy type of hair and those take forever to dry but the darker yellow are about the same as the black ones i do. i never give the same price or exact i should say because some can have great smooth hair and can be done in 35 to 45 mn while others are monsters and have that super thick hair and take forever to dry so i always tell thm that even though it's a lab they can vary on size and coat and the length of grooming so i always give them an estimate only!

Quote Originally Posted by CockerPoodleDoo View Post
    I've noticed that yellow Labs take me longer than chocolate or black. Does anyone else find this? They tend to be greasier and take longer to wash, plus I use more expensive shampoo on them to degrease. They also take forever to dry and even seem harder to deshed. Seems like I always hand them back with loose hairs while a choc or black you can russel the hair and get none. 30 min I spend on a yellow. Anyone else notice this?
    Yep, me, too! And it is for all the reasons that you stated above.
    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    www.ChrisSertzel.com

around here the black seems to take longest and be thickest. I think its just a matter of breeding really. Some labs have nice sleek easy coats and some have god awful thick coats that you can shed for an hr and not be done.

I've seen more yellows with more of a Husky-type coat than the other colors. Most of the chocolates I see tend to be way oversized--more so than most other labs. **sigh** If I had a dollar for every time someone had come up to me with my KSDS Lab (Pop, Arthur's predecessor, who is now a guide dog in Omaha) and commented "He's pretty small for a lab"... I'd be able to retire to the mountains! At 60-64 pounds and 22 inches tall, Pop was well within breed-standard for a Lab. When will people learn that Labs are NOT supposed to be 90-100 pounds and 30+ inches tall?

I'm not sure I've noticed they take longer or are harder to de-shed. But I've noticed most of them have a softer coat. They rarely have the hard, water resistant coats that I see on black or chocolate labs.

And no matter what color, it takes the 2-3 years to grow a brain.

All the yellow labs I groom have a much thicker coat and much more undercoat than the chocolates or the blacks and therefore take me longer to wash and dry. But a lot of the black labs I see are very poorly bred, with very short coats....more like smooth coats than lab coats.
    I think it makes sense to quote a price range and evaluate based on the coat once you see/groom the dog.

Wicked Smile

by the way i have a yellow lab puppy and he's coat is awesome! it's starting to change and i love it i was not looking forward for the hour drying him so i'm lucky!

Come to think of it, it does take longer! The ones I groom seem to have a much denser coat.......very interesting!
    Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
    Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

bow_wow_wheels Guest

And no matter what color, it takes the 2-3 years to grow a brain.

OMG-truer words were never spoken LOL!!

I once had a client go to a dog show with me. This was the week after Westminster and there were a LOT of Labs there. She commented that it sure was a big puppy class...I had to point out to her that these were all adult males and that they were well within Breed Standard while trying my very best to not laugh at her The friend who was with me went to a corner and had a prolonged coughing fit

Quote Originally Posted by CockerPoodleDoo View Post
    I've noticed that yellow Labs take me longer than chocolate or black. Does anyone else find this? They tend to be greasier and take longer to wash, plus I use more expensive shampoo on them to degrease. They also take forever to dry and even seem harder to deshed. Seems like I always hand them back with loose hairs while a choc or black you can russel the hair and get none. I have 2 chocolates that take me barely an hour each. They take like 15 min to dry vs the 30 min I spend on a yellow. I'm mobile and I can set up, do both chocolates, clean up and leave in barely 2 hours while if I do a house with 2 yellows, I'm there for at least 2.5. One yellow can take me an hour 15-20 while the choc or black will take me 50 min - just under an hour... I'm seriously considering charging more for yellow Labs Today I did the chocolates and it was super humid and I had my air conditioner off while drying (this house doesn't support both) and they STILL dried fast. If they were yellow I would have had to give them back a little damp... Anyone else notice this?

Yes!! I agree

Chocolates take the least amount of time for me, down here they seem to have so-so coats. Both the Yellows and the Blacks seem to take forever and a day to dry.

First time I ever saw a 100 lb Lab I 'bout fell over, why do people think they need to be that big!