Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anal glands..

Default Anal glands..

This past weekend my aunt was telling me her groomer(I think she said groomer, she lives 3 hours away from me) said that if you expressa big dog's anal glands, then they will always have to be expressed, and that they will keep filling up faster and faster, and you'll have to keep doing them for life. VS. Letting the dog do it itself naturally..
    So is that true? I've never heard of it before. I express all my big dog's butts because I DON'T want them doing it themselves..... ON MY FLOOR!
    Thoughts?

There was a study that showed that expressing anal glands can weaken the muscles that do it naturally and therefore make it so they can't express it themselves anymore. The anal glands should express a little each time a dog has a firm bowel movement. Most big dogs don't need them done. It's usually the smaller dogs that have issues. I even have it on my website that I only do anal glands on request as not every dog needs to have them done. I don't know if they would fill faster, just if they aren't expressing any themselves anymore it would seem like they might fill quicker. I haven't done anal glands on a large dog in years and don't have any clients that have any problems.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Hissy Fit Can become leaky too

I have also found that too often expression in small dogs can create a leaky anal glad- those foul smelling drops about the anus- not too much but enough to cause a stink. Better off adding canned pumpkin or frsh veggies- green beans, etc to food to help expression each time a defecation occurs. Once anals become leaky, no way to "tighten" them up.

Quote Originally Posted by mylady View Post
    There was a study that showed that expressing anal glands can weaken the muscles that do it naturally and therefore make it so they can't express it themselves anymore. I haven't done anal glands on a large dog in years and don't have any clients that have any problems.
    I do them as a matter of course in smaller dogs, particularly if they have been regularly groomed. I have seen too many ruptured anal glands to feel comfortable just leaving it, unless the owner asks me to. I agree about the big dog thing, I haven't done a big dog in ages. You can feel from the outside if they need to be released.

So you think it's best to do a quick feel and if you don't feel anything, leave them?

I won't do them at all, hubby does them on request only. I won't do them on my dogs. . .we used to and Boomer my mini poo started letting his go at random-usually when he was sitting on my lap!!
    I would prefer that it be done by a vet internally.
    ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
    Apparently common sense isn't all that common
    *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Quote Originally Posted by CAAW View Post
    So you think it's best to do a quick feel and if you don't feel anything, leave them?
    That is EXACTLY how I do it. My old boss told me that the large dogs have a easier time releasing them during potty time. so they are less apt to need them done. So I check and if they aren't "bulging" I leave them.
    Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
    Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Nerd Don't do it

As a LVT-turned-groomer I can say we learned in school (vet tech, not grooming) that to express the anal glands on a constant basis CAUSES the need to continually express the anal glands later due to a (and I'm paraphrasing here because it was several years ago) relaxation. In the clinic I used to work for, it was par for the course that we express them at the start of each bath. It seemed we constantly (talking as the one expressing the glands at the time, not as the groomer who refused because it was 'gross') had our regular clients come in with anal gland issues and a Pom who, after several years, ruptured. Dogs that never had issues before began having issues months to years after and dogs that only us had ever did almost always had some issues (if they weren't groomed, and therefore had the glands expressed regularly).

I took over grooming for several reasons and was still required to do anals. When I moved my business home, I stopped expressing them unless asked. One clients dog (small yorkiepoo) almost immediately started having issues.

When I began working at the clinic I do now, it was standard procedure to NOT do the AG unless there was an issue and VERY FEW dogs there (reg. or not) have problems at all.

I notice in the ones we do have to express AG on, it's usually 9 out of 10 small dogs because they're more compact and therefore have greater issues.

Just thought I'd share. I would only do it if a vet recommends it to the owner since you can actually be the cause of the ruptures, ect. instead of the pervention.

I check them first too. When I was hospitalized having my son, our dog's anal gland ruptured and it had to be removed and she was on antibiotics for a long time because of potential infections. I spoke to our area vets about this subject (and ear plucking) and got their opinion since they are where my clients go and they said check first, express if necessary. I ALWAYS inform the client if the consistency or color is off. I write it on their receipts as well.
    Sniff the Paw

Quote Originally Posted by CAAW View Post
    >>>

Yes. I feel aroundtheir anus, and if I feel they might have a build up I externally release them. If I feel they are too impacted (you know the ones that have stuff come out lookingl ike toothpaste, or they still feel inflamed, I recommend they go to the vet for an internal release and or flush with antibiotics. i had a bad experience one time when a dog's anal glands were tight as a drum, (I was working at the vet clininc ) we called for permission to internally release them, and or flush them, and the owner refused, telling me that I was incompetent because her previous groomer had told her there was never a problem. Lo and behold, 4 weeks later, the dogs glands ruptured and she required treatment after 4 weeks of a painful rear end.

Shocked OMG!

I always check and put my fingers on each side and press a little to express anals. Should I stop doing this? I am always(underlined in bold print) asked if I do anals. I say yes and I've never had one that had impacted anal glands. But if I continue to do them will it cause more problems to the dog in the long run?

It is still a matter of debate, even vets cant agree on it but I can tell my the 4 vets at our hospital feel that once you start doing them regularly, they need to continue to be done regularly. Whether thats because dogs stop doing it themself, or the muscles weaken or because it stimulates them to fill faster is still unknown.

If you never do them most dogs will never have a problem and never need them done.

If you groom a dog who has had them done for most of its life, I would continue to do it. I would discontinue starting it on puppies unless specifically asked.

I only do them now on dogs who have either had them done (by another groomer) all their life, or have known issues.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast