Red face clipping golden retriever

Hello everyone, I just read alot of the posts about clipping down a golden and as usual I learned sooooo much. I clipped a golden retriever today the owner said she gets in the pool alot but he wants her to look like a puppy again. Well I went more with the puppy look so I used a 1/4" clip on comb all over and a 1 1/4" comb down the top of the whole tail and fan scissored the bottom of tail and left the ears to balance with the tail. She looked like a puppy but was a little choppy but not too bad because I tried to take my time and go slow with the blade. My question is, if I would've finished by running the blade in reverse over the choppys would it have looked better? Would it have ever looked smooth with a snap on? This dog had alot of hair and I precut first before bath to cut down on drying time and it still took me a long time. I guess speed will come!!! Please enlighten me with this questions. Thanks

I think pre-cutting with a snap-on didn't help with the choppiness. The main cuase of choppiness is undercoat. I find that prepping the coat as best as you can helps and running a furminator/carding the coat after clipping helps a ton.
    Bulldogs are adorable, with faces like toads that have been sat on.

ive found that the stainless steel comb blades work very well for thick under coated dogs!!

when i put a golden in a puppy cut. first bath and blow out the coat. for most goldens i do a 0 clip on the butt and tummy. 2 clip down the back of the front legs. skim the chest and tidy up tummy fringes. on others, if they are much hairier, then i might run an A comb through the body including chest. scissor up the tail so that it is proportional to the body. that's my average puppy cut. there may be variations due to owners wishes. but it is important to get that loose undercoat out or it will be choppy.
    Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
    "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Quote Originally Posted by krislyn15 View Post
    This dog had alot of hair and I precut first before bath to cut down on drying time and it still took me a long time. I guess speed will come!!! Please enlighten me with this questions. Thanks
    That was probably your mistake. The hair takes longer to dry toward the skin, so taking hair off the top wont do much. I would have bathed, hand dried, and then clipped the dog. Just hand scissor the areas if you get lines, I guess.

Good luck next time.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Doing a reverse clip with a comb comes out beautiful, with less lines, but only if the undercoat is totally blown out and the coat combed thoroughly.
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.