Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bark to Basics Demat solution

I tried the demat solution the other day for the first time and It works great! I had a little bichon with a very badly matted head, and really didn't want to shave it off if I didn't have to (poor dog hadn't been groomed in 8 months). I didn't mix it how the directions told me to do so though. After I lathered up up the head I put a small amount in my hands and mixed it with the shampoo. did the same yesterday with a very matted poodle tail. This product made it so much easier to demat!! The dryer actually seperated the mats easier with the product in the coat. Try it, it works great!!! I decided now just to add a small squirt to each of my diluted gallons of shampoo.

Lisa,
    I've been using Bark to Basics products for over 10 years and I won't use anything else. Their de-mat has allowed me to save literally pelted coats, it's a miracle product. You should try the One Step Silky, that has the conditioner already added ( like what you're doing) and smells great, like plumeria. Awesome stuff.

Thanks for the tip, Lisa!

I have some 16oz bottles that they sent to me for free to try their product. I don't care for a couple of them---smells like artificially flavored berry and artificially flavored orange, but the oatmeal is nice (I don't think it's colloidal oatmeal though), and their conditioner which was kind of a light green color, was very nice.

WHAT?! GroomTeam USA members get MATTED dogs? I'm totally disillusioned!

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

I've been using Coat Handler and Bark 2 Basics (same company makes both) for over a year now. And I totally love it! But Lisa, you've confused me. I thought you were NEVER supposed to mix shampoo and conditioner together, because the conditioner acts as a sort of "sealant". From what I understand, when you wash all the oils off of the dog's coat, you separate all of the little fibers on each hair. When you condition, you seal down all of the little fiber things, and they are much less likely to catch on one another, creating tangles. They also seal out dirt and dust from the hair, thus keeping it clean longer.

So, by using conditioner and shampoo together, aren't you, in a sense, sealing the "yuck" onto the hair? Kind of defeating the purpose of both products?

If this theory is totally wrong, feel free to educate me. I always try to keep an open mind. This just doesn't make any sense to me.
    Jacob

I use nature's specialties quicker slicker the same way after the bath and while drying put some in my hands and rub it into the coat and brush.

The matts come out sooo ...much easier

LMAO Yes can you believe we actually get dogs like that?! ANNDDD we even get dogs that will poop in their kennels and WE have to clean it up ourselves. I did not sign up for that! LOL
    I love the oatmeal shampoo too, and you are right the other smells. I liked in the bottle but didn't like on the dogs once it was rinsed off. I will only use their oatmeal now

Jacob, I know they are the same compnay and they have been around a long time, just never tried bark to basics. I tried coat handler and didn't care for it many years ago. (except odor handler) I was taught the same thing you were Jacob, about the conditioner being a sealant, and never done it. but if you notice there are shampoos out there that have a type of conditioner in them ( plum silky, coconut cream shampoo, and a couple of others just can't think of them off the top of my head) I do not add what I would if I were to dilute it down according to the directions I just added maybe a dallop (dime size I would say) to my gallon of diluted shampoo and tried it on a sheltie. a german shepherd, and then a poodle.all of their coats came out AWESOME and even dried faster ( like they say a good conditioner will do) it did not still look dirty or nor did it feel yucky. Even when I ran my hand over the dogs backs to squeeze off excess water the coat squeeked (if it sqeeks you know you are clean) Give it a try you will see I am not off on this.

Quote Originally Posted by dgpaw View Post
    LMAO Yes can you believe we actually get dogs like that?! ANNDDD we even get dogs that will poop in their kennels and WE have to clean it up ourselves. I did not sign up for that! LOL
    I love the oatmeal shampoo too, and you are right the other smells. I liked in the bottle but didn't like on the dogs once it was rinsed off. I will only use their oatmeal now

Jacob, I know they are the same compnay and they have been around a long time, just never tried bark to basics. I tried coat handler and didn't care for it many years ago. (except odor handler) I was taught the same thing you were Jacob, about the conditioner being a sealant, and never done it. but if you notice there are shampoos out there that have a type of conditioner in them ( plum silky, coconut cream shampoo, and a couple of others just can't think of them off the top of my head) I do not add what I would if I were to dilute it down according to the directions I just added maybe a dallop (dime size I would say) to my gallon of diluted shampoo and tried it on a sheltie. a german shepherd, and then a poodle.all of their coats came out AWESOME and even dried faster ( like they say a good conditioner will do) it did not still look dirty or nor did it feel yucky. Even when I ran my hand over the dogs backs to squeeze off excess water the coat squeeked (if it sqeeks you know you are clean) Give it a try you will see I am not off on this.

I have to admit, it's nice to know that the big people in grooming land get the poopy, matted, and icky dogs too.
    I'm gonna have to try the conditioner in the shampoo! I used the bark to basics off and on for the past year but will more than likely be switching over in the next month or so.
    ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
    Apparently common sense isn't all that common
    *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Nerd A Technical Explanation..

"I thought you were NEVER supposed to mix shampoo and conditioner together, because the conditioner acts as a sort of "sealant". From what I understand, when you wash all the oils off of the dog's coat, you separate all of the little fibers on each hair. When you condition, you seal down all of the little fiber things, and they are much less likely to catch on one another, creating tangles. They also seal out dirt and dust from the hair, thus keeping it clean longer.

So, by using conditioner and shampoo together, aren't you, in a sense, sealing the "yuck" onto the hair? Kind of defeating the purpose of both products?"

The reason for not mixing shampoo and conditioner together is the shampoo is an anionic solution and conditioner is cationic. Most cationic conditioner ingredients are not compatible with anionic detergent surfactants. Sorry to be so technical, but this is the real explanation. When you mix them together in the same solution, they partially interfere with each other. You get poor cleansing, or the solution no longer holds the dirt and oil in suspension, and you get poor conditioning, as the powerful anionic detergents remove the conditioner oils. Neither works well. This is the same reason as we don't add traditional fabric softeners in the wash cycle in the clothes washer.

The exception to this is that some silicone ingredients are compatible in anionic solutions. Most 2-in-1 conditioning shampoos contains added silicone conditioning ingredients. These are often the same or similar as the silicone ingredients used in many detangling preparations. Lisa is right on!

I've used silicone detangling products in the tub for years through my Bathing Beauty recirculating system. Sometimes I'll add a squirt in the bath, sometimes a squirt to the conditioner, and sometimes I use it instead of conditioner. Right now I'm using the EZ Groom EZ Glide stuff. The concentrate is a great buy, as it dilutes 16:1, but it's not on the website. I've also used Chris Christensen Ice on Ice, Show Season Detangle. I prefer to use products where the ingredient information is provided.

BBird, author "Beyond Suds & Scent".

The de-matt is ok, but I noticed many dogs having a bad reaction to shampoos, my bather did too....back to Natures Specialty.

Question But...

what about products that are a shampoo and a conditioner? There's one put out by Kelco that's a shampoo, conditioner and moisturizer.
    I haven't tried using it on really dirty dogs though, but it does leave a shine to the coat, and smells good.

I love the B2B de-matt! Not to crazy about the shampoo's. But have really enjoyed the de-matt.

I've used Pantene Shampoo/conditoner on my Puff Cresteds for years. Works great! Leaves the coat very silky, and has no build up. And it stops static.

Annette

Thumbs up

Yes, I got some in my intro. pack at Jay & Sue's last session in Naperville, and I really like it! My 16oz. bottle is already gone! I also purchase some of their Odor Handler that day, and I used it on my Cavalier before his show to remove some bad grass stains & soot that he got on his feet the morning of the show- totally lifted it right out! In fact he took Best of Breed that day!
    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    www.ChrisSertzel.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast