Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Petco Grooming School vs "Private" school

I am ready to start grooming school. March 1 at CT School of Dog Grooming. Someone mentioned to me what about going through Petco's school. They may be cheaper, but then maybe you get what you pay for, though not in all cases.

I have heard that Petco makes you work for them for a year after you have finished the program and I thought a non-compete thing after after i leave, but would that be for just a certain radius around the store I trained at. So, this leaves me thinking the other school may be better.

Where in Ct is this grooming school? I also had no idea that petco teaches grooming.

yes petco does require that you work for them for a year after completeing school. i didnt go to the petco school ( i am being trained under a groomer), but i did work at petco as a bather for a couple of weeks then left. personally i would rather go to a known grooming school than a petstores grooming school. nothing against petstore grooming schools...but they all seem to follow the latest fad...grooming schools, doggy daycare centers in their stores, boarding..etc.
    JMHO
    Hound

i went through petco's school. you will spend 4 weeks (40 hours a week) in a small class, then spend 4 weeks working one on one with an experienced groomer. then go back for 2 weeks of advanced training. it is a total 420 hours. i was very fortunate to apprentice with a fabulous groomer. the 4 weeks of working with someone is what sets them apart. you will owe them a year, but that is time well spent learning your trade. the non compete clause which is valid for 6 months after you leave, is not just that store , but any petco. in some states they can not enforce a non compete. you would need to check that out. don't be too quick to discount petco. i wouldnot be the groomer i am today without the woman i apprenticed with and the year spent honing my craft. i have had my own, very successful mobile grooming business for 6 years now. as you are in CT, please PM me if you have any questions.

Beaming I have a question

I am interested in that program you went through at petco how would i find out about it and wats it all about how much does it cost and all that info would be great thanks

Red face More Info-Please

I'd love more info as well. I've applied to the Petco bather position and grooming internship as I have yet to find a groomer in GA that is looking for an apprentice, although since I haven't heard from Petco yet I'm still looking and hopeful in all areas. Does the school charge, the write up on the website says they do not.

Thank you for any information.

You will owe them 2 years or $5000.
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by smart-n-pretty View Post
    you will owe them 2 years or $5000.
    eeeshhh

Quote Originally Posted by liljinx View Post
    eeeshhh
    Whats wrong with that I paid $4,500 for 12 weeks or 600 hours of school five years ago. At least at petco your training is ongoing once your done with grooming school you are done. though since I was working right away they let me hang around an extra couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Daze View Post
    Whats wrong with that I paid $4,500 for 12 weeks or 600 hours of school five years ago. At least at petco your training is ongoing once your done with grooming school you are done. though since I was working right away they let me hang around an extra couple of weeks.
    Seems a bit steep to me with an included non-compete clause. So you pay them 5,000 and agree not to use the knowledge for 6 months?

Seems a bit steep to me with an included non-compete clause. So you pay them 5,000 and agree not to use the knowledge for 6 months?
    You have to work for them for 2 years after you finish their school OR you owe them the $5000. The non compete at another corporate was 10 miles for 6 mos after employment with their company. If you go to their school and then work for them for 2 years, you owe them nothing. It's totally understandable,, other wise people would get free training then bolt.

You stay with the company (at their mercy as far as rules--usually made by non-groomers), what dogs you get, when you work, what store you are at, etc a couple of years OR you repay what they think 4 wks of "academy" is worth. They tell you the other groomers train you after "graduation" but, those other groomers are your competition. I have heard from groomers that work at corporate salons the money is good after a couple of years but, in the meantime you had better have a husband to support you & you are way over regulated. All the groomers I know that work at a corporate salon do nothing but, gripe about work. I never worked corporate so, their words are the only thing I have to go on. Once in awhile I hear a groomer (Like Working Chi) say how great it is but, for every one of those I hear 20 saying it sucks.

I'll be interested to see if this post makes it through moderation because the are sponsors of this board.
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast