Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dog lethargic after grooming

A regular customer who brings her Bichon-Poo every 4 weeks stopped in today to ask me if anything happened during Kodi's grooming appointment last Saturday -- almost a week ago. She said that when they got home he started acting lethargic and wasn't interested in playing with her or the neighborhood dogs (he's normally a bundle of energy). She said she went to the vet with him on Monday because he was sore around his genital area (where he was recently neutered) and the vet put him on antibiotics for an "infection". I didn't notice any irritation when he was there but my other groomer groomer him so I'm going to ask her tomorrow.

Nothing unusual happened during his grooming session. In fact I remember him bounding out when she came to get him like he usually does. She asked me if he fell off the table and I said "no, of course not...and if something like that had happened I would have certainly told you about it". I just don't think she believed me. She said the vet didn't find anything else wrong with him so I said perhaps he's acting like this because he doesn't feel well due to having an infection. Well then all of a sudden the "infection" becomes just some slight razorburn so that can't possibly be causing his change in behavior. I really don't know what her deal is, if she's trying to accuse me of something or blame something on me.

Either way, has anyone ever had a customer tell them their dog is lethargic and not normal after grooming? I could see if it lasted a day or so, but she says this has been going on for a week. It's frustrating for me because I know nothing out of the ordinary happened at my shop but I just don't think she believes me.

Default where else has

the dog been? Could have picked up something from another dog/animal- eaten something she wasn't aware of.

Yes, I had this happen , turned out the dog ate a pai of knee highs, took a week to pass, then the dog had the runs for another week, all the while she kept calling me and giving me the 3rd degree, never apologized, people are funny, I can't imagine what they think we do to their dog in 2 hours to cause all these "problems".

Quote Originally Posted by amysue2638 View Post
    A regular customer who brings her Bichon-Poo every 4 weeks stopped in today to ask me if anything happened during Kodi's grooming appointment last Saturday -- almost a week ago. She said that when they got home he started acting lethargic and wasn't interested in playing with her or the neighborhood dogs (he's normally a bundle of energy). She said she went to the vet with him on Monday because he was sore around his genital area (where he was recently neutered) and the vet put him on antibiotics for an "infection". I didn't notice any irritation when he was there but my other groomer groomer him so I'm going to ask her tomorrow.

Nothing unusual happened during his grooming session. In fact I remember him bounding out when she came to get him like he usually does. She asked me if he fell off the table and I said "no, of course not...and if something like that had happened I would have certainly told you about it". I just don't think she believed me. She said the vet didn't find anything else wrong with him so I said perhaps he's acting like this because he doesn't feel well due to having an infection. Well then all of a sudden the "infection" becomes just some slight razorburn so that can't possibly be causing his change in behavior. I really don't know what her deal is, if she's trying to accuse me of something or blame something on me.

Either way, has anyone ever had a customer tell them their dog is lethargic and not normal after grooming? I could see if it lasted a day or so, but she says this has been going on for a week. It's frustrating for me because I know nothing out of the ordinary happened at my shop but I just don't think she believes me.
    well, you didn't state his age but I can give you an example of what happened to me one day. A pekapoo, 7 years old. Came every 4 weeks for grooming. On one particular visit, after he was brushed, bathed/dried I noticed he was acting very lethargic. I called her to come pick him up asap. She took him to his vet, the diagnosis was congestive heart. His heart was 3 times the size it should be! She said she has noticed in the last few days he didn't seem to have alot of energy. Thank god she noticed! He only lived about 1 year later. He was going down the hall with her heading for bed, and just fell over. Gone that quick. You might suggest that she have her vet check him out for that. Just an idea?

This dog is under 2 years old and he's been coming in every 4 weeks for over a year. He was acting completely fine when he was here with us. He's always very hyper and friendly and nothing was different this time. I just think it's strange that he would have all of a sudden become lethargic as soon as she got him home but he was fine here. As a dog owner my first thought would have been the same as hers, but why didn't she call right away? Instead she waits a week....it's strange. And then the whole story about the "infection" that miraculously turned into "razor burn" halfway through the conversation.

"Razor burn" wouldn't cause lethargy unless it was infected, which is highly unlikely. If he was recently neutered, it's possible there was some infection present. It happens. If the vet who did the neuter used absorbable suture material, that could also cause some lethargy if the dog was sensitive to it. Sometimes they develop serum pockets as the internal sutures dissolve, and that can be quite uncomfortable, too.

Whiz developed a minor infection after he was neutered. He also had a low grade UTI. It slowed him down...a little, lol. He was 12 weeks old, and the UTI earned him his name. That pup piddled every 5 minutes till it cleared up.

Although the dog is young, congestive heart failure is a possibility. But I am going with the infection thought. She admitted the vet gave her an antibiotic for infection...that would have to be some really bad razor burn to cause an infection. We do have several owners that tell us their dog sleeps the rest of the day but not for week. And those dogs are usually the ones that make us want a nap when we finish them and they never go anywhere but to the groomers so with all the excitement of going and energy spent being groomed...they are tired. Try calling her vet. We have done that here to get their opinion on the dog. We call out of concern, and we usually find out something. Plus folks like to exagerate!

Update on this....I was on vacation all week (yay!) so I finally got around to calling this client today to find out how Kodi was doing. She still doesn't know what caused the irritation but it's all cleared up. Apparently she had told the vet that the dog was just at the groomer's and that's when he said it was possible it was razor burn. But once the swelling went down (never seen swelling with razor burn!) she could see that his hair wasn't even clipped close in that spot. So we're thinking it was something else that caused the irritation.

Regardless, come to find out that the reason he was lethargic for a week was because they gave him the wrong medicine! Instead of antibiotics the vet gave him some kind of anti-depressant. So that was why he was acting so strangely...thank god she figured it out because I was really afraid she was thinking that something terrible happened to him when he was with us.

Default OMG!!!!!

So what you're telling us is....it was the vet's fault???? Not to place blame but aren't the tables turned just a little on this one. I shouldn't even talk after the week I've just had. Ya'll can read about it in another post. I'm so glad the poochie is doing better.

So glad you were able to find the reasoning behind all the trouble.

We had a golden retriever that boarded with us a few weeks ago and was groomed before it went home. After being home the owners noticed she was lathargic and having a hard time breathing. Rushed her to the vet and told she had a 50% chance of surviving the night....fluid started filling her lungs and they lost her overnight. Of course, owners were on the phone wondering what we did to her. An autopsy revealed her body was full of cancer. She was such a sweetheart....seems like the good ones are always taken too soon while we're stuck with the devil dogs FOREVER!

medication mix-ups happen with people...why not animals???

I'm glad he's doing better...Yikes, stuff like that is scary!

Annette

Quote Originally Posted by amysue2638 View Post

>>>>>>>>

Yes. Once a cute little Peke non neutered male came in a week after a groom with what was eventually diagnosed as a degenerative disc problem. The little guy was always full of beans especially in the tub, but nothing untoward happened during the groom. The owner out and out blamed me for his dog's condition, but as the vet said, "This condition is like a ticking time bomb. The underlying condition is always there, jumping off the couch, being examined at the clinic or the groom could have aggrevated it." I never saw the dog again and frankly, I am relieved. I know I didn't do anything to the dog, but if they believe I did, it's better the dog goes somewhere else to be groomed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast