Huh OMG! Dogs skin peeling off!

omg, I can't believe what I saw with my own eyes today!! there was a thread somewhere, I can't remember for the life of me where, but it was about a dog that was at the groomers and suddenly it's skin started sloughing off!! There were pictures of the dog in that thread also. Honestly it looked like someone had poured something on this dog and literally burned the skin off of it,. I can't remember if there was a correct diagnosis for this particular dog. Anyway, today at work I had a little sheltie come in for grooming. He has been a regular client for many years. (Thank God!!) I take him straight to the tub, run water over him..and clumps of hair start falling out!! I was like wth? I get him wetter and start running my hand over his coat and dang...more hair comes out!! Then I noticed these big patches of raw skin! Just big red circles with skin just peeling off!! I was FREAKIN OUT!! It was not to the extreme like that poor dog in the other thread, but looks like it would be if left untreated. I called the owner to let her know what I discovered so she could advise me on how she wanted me to proceed. She requested that I just finish the bath as best I could and she would take him to the vet. I bathed him in MedAcetic by Les Poochs along with their cream rinse.(in cool water of course) I let him totally air dry. The owner picked him up and had no idea it was like that because he had such thick hair, although it was thinning alot lately. I'm waiting to hear back from her after her visit to her vet. Anyone remember the thread Im talking about? Any ideas? I was thinking about this and wondered if this had been a new client would they also have "blamed" the groomer? lil scarey!!

Default check thyroid

I have seen that a lot in shelties. Its like you can just pull out chunks of hair!!! I remember a few different clients having the dog's thyroid checked, and it was off, so you might want to tell your client to have that checked, if the vet doesn't do it. Also, we had one sheltie with this, and I swear, it looked like someone had poured battery acid on him!!! Poor baby! He had a thyroid condition, but also had some kind of auto-immune condition. Thyroid problems are very common in shelties, though, so that would be the first thing I'd have checked, if it were my dog. Be sure to tell them to put the dog on a high quality, corn free, food, if they already haven't done so.

Hair I think I remember the post you're thinking of. If it's the same one, the groomer was accused of burning, and peeling the skin off the dog with clippers. The photos looked more like a chemical burn or scalding, though.

Doing some looking, there are several conditions common in Shelties that could be the culprit, besides a thyroid problem. Pemphigus, Systemic Lupus, severe allergic reaction with hives, reaction to medications, and skin cancer were some of the conditions mentioned. Definitely something the vet should look into.

Personally, I wouldn't have continued with the bath. I'd want the vet to see the dog "as is" just in case bathing would wash away the evidence.

I did tell her that I suspected it might be thyroid related, but she really needed to have it checked by her vet. She said he used to be on thyroid meds but hasn't taken them in some time. My best friend is a vet tech and this dogs vet so I am calling her tomorrow to see if the owner followed up. I sure hope so.

yuck !

I don't know if dogs get this condition or not, but on the bucking bull breeders' board, one of the breeders was concerned about a cow that had similar symptoms. http://www.bcsalering.com/showthread.php?t=8163

It turned out she has a condition (photosensitivity) where she's become allergic to sunlight. On all of her light-colored or thin-haired parts (nose, white stripe on her back, her ears, her udder...) the skin was just falling off and she was in pain. In the Merck manual, possible internal causes were a genetic predisposition, lupus was also mentioned, and environmental factors like certain grasses and medications.

Wow OMG!!!

I know for sure I would have been freaking out!!! Make sure to post what it was when you find out!! Yikes!!!
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin

Whoa

Was the skin peeling too or just the hair coming out? I def. want to know the results! Please keep us posted on this, you never know when one of us may incounter this.