Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nerdy Poodle cording, anyone?

I swear that I may have the only Poodle that can go seven months without being touched by a brush and not mat!

So I think maybe I did some stuff wrong (?) at my first cording attempt. But we learn from our mistakes, right? Russell, my Miniature Poodle (he was abandoned at our shop... he's since became my guinea pig for everything foo fooish) was subjected to my idea of cording him. I had read the article Corded Poodle Practicalities in the Elemental Poodle (Vol. 4, Issue 1) and I guess that's where my inspiration came from....

Russell began his cording process in August 2007. I clipped him down to about 1/2" all over and just let him go. At first, I bathed him once a week and let him air dry, so his hair would dry into little ringlets. Then when he started growing out, I decided he looked goofy and I gave him a sort of "modified" lion clip...

The cords on his back legs were doing quite well... they were thick and I had no problems with them pulling out. His head and ears never really started cording until just recently. I had trouble keeping his topknot pulled up with bands, though... he always pulled them out and left them laying all over the house. Cords on his body started falling out, though, on his sides where he would lay. So he looked like a mangy poodle with pathetic dreads. I think I started splitting them too soon, because the bottom half of his cords were thick and well-formed, but the base of them at the skin were very thin and that is why they pulled out so easily.

Maybe I just did the whole thing wrong, I don't know. So anyway, I reluctantly took him to work the other day and clipped him down with a #4. I left his topknot and tail, though. He looks like a dandelion now. I really want to attempt cording him again (although I did see the Ponydoodle "ad"... I think I might let him grow a mane, too cute! Hahaha...)

I have attached some pictures of his "journey" through cording. Feedback is greatly appreciated! I would love to see other corded poodles, too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Agree cording poodles

I use to keep my standard in cords,It looks as if you little guy has a soft coat.That will make it very hard to cord.They will need to be a little thicker.When it dose start to mat wait until you see it starting to felt thats when you from the base of the cords.Most inportant is to make sure you go althe way down to the skin.You want them wider at the base as they will get thiner as they grow.The fuzzy stuff on the ends will rub off as the crod are comming in.You will find them all over your house.The topknot is the last to cord.You and try a little gel to help it along.I did not pet the hair up at this time the rubber bands make it harder for them to form.Just keep a check on his eyes that don't get irritated by the hair,If so put it up for a while.It takes about a year to see that it is really working.Good Luck

Yeah he's in the mangy ugly stage that all corded dogs go through.

You need to wait until you have almost a fist size matt before you seperate, then quater it and leave it. Keep it split though as the coat matures then you can seperate to about a quater sized base.

Sometimes the ears neverr matt. I have a Puli that has almost a silky type coat on her ears and they never corded. The topknot isn't going to cord if he is taking his bands out, it is going to cause to much breakage to the hair.

We had another Puli that liked to wipe is scrunchies off on our fireplace hearth, once we moved he finally grew head cords.

Huh I didnt even know

I didnt even know this could be done. I have never had my hands on a corded dog. I have a black standard poodle that is way overdue for a groom-my dogs always look the worst it seems-LOL.
    This may be the way to go for me. SO let me get this straight.... you wait until the coat begins to mat and the begin seperating it at the skin with your fingers into quarters. Do you start the twist it any? it seems the cord i've seen on other dogs look like someone twisted them.
    When and how do you bath and dry them once they formed? Conditioner? Brushing?
    SOOOO many questions....

I've not done a poodle before, but I have done 2 Puli's. i just washed the dog and trimmed sanitary areas feet and nails, until the dog had mats. (no hv drying, only crate drying) Then I began splitting the cords. I would use a sharp pair of scissors and split the tip of the mat into how many cords I felt it could be split into without pulling the cord out because it is too thin. Usually the first time was just splitting them once. Once the cords are cut at the end, I used my hands to pull the cords apart until the cord is split about 1/2 inch from the skin, and then i again used the scissors to split the rest if needed. Remember pull apart not out. you can really hurt the dog if all you are doing is pulling the hair out from their skin while doing this proceedure. Both Puli's were young when I started, and it took about a year to get a really good cording job going. You cannot do this all in one sitting, it requires repeat appointments. I still groom one of them the other has since passed on. After the cords are 'set' ( split to the desired width)I would split first and bath second, as it takes a long time for the cords to dry enough to work with. Remember the hair continues to grow, so you wil need to do mini splits to separate hair that has grown in and combined the top of the cords. This is a time consuming proceedure, and be especially careful in the groin, tail,face cords. Be especially careful around the ears as it is very easy to split ear leather. Good luck.

Default my standard is corded

I started cording my white standard poodle last august. I plan to show her this year as a corded dog. She doesn't have that nice wiry coat, so we did it the hard way, by letting her matt, then splitting the matts into smaller matts...

Never brush, no matter what. I needed to use scissors a lot in the beginning, but some coats are fine with just finger splitting. Never use a force dryer, or excessive water pressure, especially in the beginning cause this just sepparates the hair. i would just wet her, and soak excess water with a towel (several towels) like a sponge once a week, for a while and just shampoo her once every month or two.

I still haven't figured out how to get the cords to not be so frizzy... i know she doesn't have the ideal coat for cording, and i don't want to wax them or anything cause she's bring in so much dirt and grass. so if anyone knows a good conditioner or something for corded coats, please let me know.

here's a photo of her around christmas time
    Attached Images Attached Images

Big Love Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Poodlestar View Post
    here's a photo of her around christmas time
    Wow, she is a beauty! Love standards....

Default hi

I have been looking into cording for a while now because i want to cord a standard poodle in the future (when i get a black one!). I have found out that you spray the coat with water and ruff it up once a day to help the whole process and you can also set the cords by picking areas (the desired size of cord) and back combing and spraying and twisting with water. I believe you can also use hairspray and setting spray to help.
    I also was talking to a guy with dreads and he was telling me how he does his hair using these methods and he has had it in dreads for 10 years or something he gave me a wee demo and everything lol.
    I have yet to try this but I can't wait! I am going to give it a go in the future hopefully soon!!

poodlestar...your girl is beautiful in her pretty pink bow!! Do you have a full body shot? I would love to see it!

I know NOTHING about cording.
    Just wanted to say........Brrrrrrr when I saw that little bare butt in that cold cold snowy picture. LOL

Poodlestar is dog is beautiful. I also would like to see a full body shot of her.
    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
    Diane

Woosh! Haven't visited this topic in awhile.

What a beautiful Standard! I really do love seeing corded Poodles...

I used to use gel to help Russell's cords really form together... because like Poodlestar said, his little dreads would get all frizzy and start winding around each other.

I now realize my first mistake was not letting the cords properly form. I am so impatient... I just rushed it along... LOL. I was uncertain on how large the cords should be on a miniature Poodle. Someone told me they should be as big around as a pencil?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast