Default Chow Lion Cut???

I have 2 chows that the owner wants in a lion cut. He doesn't want them too short. What blade would I use...a #5 0o #7? And the mane should I cut it down a bit? Any advice would be great.
    Thanks

Depending on their condition you may have little choice about what blade to use. I hope you can get a 5 or 7 through. I doubt anything longer will work unless they are in very good shape.

I do my Chow in a #7. I'm at work, but when I get home, I'll try to remember to post a picture of her. I skim the ends off of her mane. Gives her a nice, tidy look.

Linda

Cute

I have a german shepherd/chow mix (longer hair like a chow and colors of a shepherd) and I'd love to do a lion cut on him.

If anyone has pictures that would be great!

You'd be lucky to get a #5 through if the coat isn't in good condition. I normally do a #7 on my lion cuts and the mane is either trimmed or left natural depending what the owner wants.

I have a chow who looks so much like a lion that when I adopted him he was already named Leo. So the other day I decided to try and really make him look like an actual lion.

I went online and looked at pictures of male African lions and left Leo's mane like that. All 4 legs were shaved clean, plus belly and body from the shoulders back.

This is a dog who gets a bath about once a week and I figured I'd have no problem getting a 4F through his coat. But the blade kept getting caught, so then I went to a 4, then a 5F, then a 5, but then ended up using a 7F.

Yikes, I never realized how skinny his butt was until it was all shaved off!

Nancy

With Chows, Huskies and so on usually helps if you first take a round with coat king to get excess undercoat off. After that I usually take some of the hair off before bath and after coat is dry, it's quite easy to do even a puppy cut with #1 or #2 comb. 5 or 7 against the grain seems to make the neatest finish on lion cut though. Mane I usually scissor in nicely, without leaving big ruffs unless customer specificly requests to leave mane on "natural state".
    Hope this helps, Chows really look cute on lion cut