Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default English Bulldog Body Odor

I have a potential customer who has an English Bulldog that has a bad body odor much like human B O. She bathes Gizmo weekly sometimes twice a week...and within hours, the dog's skin "stinks" again. She says her vet told her the B.O. is normal for English Bulldogs. Sounds "fishy" to me...haha no pun intended.
    One problem is they have been using a Wally World Deoderizing shampoo...so I've given her a sample of my Earthbath Tea Tree Oil/Aloe shampoo to try this weekend because the dog is itching himself to death...I'm thinking that could be caused by or worsened by the frequent baths and "retail store" shampoo. But what about the odor? Any experience with this English Bulldog "condition" Any ideas for a remedy for the B.O.?

Hmmmm. What's the dogs diet?

Default Stinky Bulldog

Hi, I have two bulldogs that I do every two weeks. They are stinky chunky fellows (cute as cute can be though, I just love them), I use a mixture of neem - that takes alot of odor out and the other half of the mixture is Oatmeal/tee tree for dry sensitive skin. The owner may be bathing too much.
    DIET can be one of main causes of stinky bulldogs!

DIET! I would say diet as #1, and since bulldogs tend to have allergies definitely use a high-quality shampoo! My bulldog smells fine, except for her feet because she's allergic to grass and they're yucky and itchy. My vet recommended soaking her in epsom salts once a week and that's helped!
    Bulldogs are adorable, with faces like toads that have been sat on.

Default Diet May be a part of it..

thanks for the quick replies....I'm thinking if they're getting shampoo at Wally World...chances are food is from there too, but I'll check. What do you feed your two?

I've had my bulldog on three different brands during her life. She's done well on Royal Canin Bulldog formula (just for bulldogs!)... but she's currently eating Solid Gold Holistique Blend because she wasn't eating the Royal Canin (I think she didn't like the taste, but she loves the Solid Gold). I had her on a pre-packaged raw diet for a couple of weeks but she had diarrhea for the first time in her life so that didn't work out. Just keep in mind bulldogs can't have a large amount of protein in their diets.
    Bulldogs are adorable, with faces like toads that have been sat on.

I had one in a week or so ago that also smelled horrific. She had a really, really tight corkscrew tail and that area and in between her toes was moist and yeasty. After the bath I powdered there to try to help keep it dry. Very likely it is also diet related, as mentioned by everyone else bulldogs are prone to skin problems and allergies.

I own english bulldogs also. Are they cleaning under all the wrinkles? I agree w/ the diet as well. I dont know that its normal, because I have never heard Bulldogs have B.O before LOL

I have an English Bulldog that I groom weekly. He has really bad allergies. He also stinks pretty bad. The owner has tried everything. The only thing that helps is steroids. He still stinks though. It's ok with me. He is the biggest sweetheart. I look forward to seeing him every week.
    "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Default agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogmom View Post
    DIET! I would say diet as #1, and since bulldogs tend to have allergies definitely use a high-quality shampoo! My bulldog smells fine, except for her feet because she's allergic to grass and they're yucky and itchy. My vet recommended soaking her in epsom salts once a week and that's helped!
    I have been playing around around with epsom salts as well- (I'm sure Helly has an experiment on the burner somewhere) and it can dry up the yeast. Along with powder- Gold Bond has 3 kinds - try a little ear powder in the folds and I like Dermaplex shampoo too for frequent Bathing.

Maybe you could try a vinegar based shampoo? Just a thought. It works great for some of the dogs that I groom that have fungusy or yeasty type skin conditions.
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

I would suggest Lifes Abundance dog food (healthypetnet.com) and the Les Poochs MedAcetic Shampoo/ear & skin cleanser.
    At the very least try Eagle Pack Holistic diet. That's a good one too!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast