Skeptical Reason for Black Scrotum

I groomed a 1 yr old Shih Tzu yesterday that had a black scrotum. One testicle had not dropped yet, but the other one that had was black.

What could be some of the causes for this discoloration?

I didn't mention it to the owner. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought she didn't know. It was black as black could get. She calls me last night wanting to know if anything happened during the groom yesterday to cause it. Like I could turn a scrotum black as night within 6 hours. I must be a witch with a black ball spell. LOL

Would love your input. Thanks

Was the color of the skin maybe always black and never noticed until the sanitary was done? The skin in this area can be any color just as the skin on any part of the dog. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Default Interesting

first of all for aesthetics, I usually leave a bit of hair over the scortum so the customer would not have noticed. I have certainly seen black coloration very normal as such. Kind of like black lips on a white dog, I would think that is quite fine.

I would add that if one testicle did not drop down, it would be very beneficial to have the dog neutered. There is often problems with the retained testical such as more likely to be cancer there and often it makes the dog much more "hot to trot" to the point of irritation.
    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

If it's not normal black skin, it would probably be caused by irritation or possible hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism can cause hyperpigmentation. If it's irritation, the causes can be many. Excessive licking because Mr. Hot-to-Trot is having himself a lot of little thoughts, scooting because of discomfort from anal gland problems, itching from allergies or fleas, to name a few of the more common ones.

And Arrooh is correct. If the dog has a retained testicle he should be neutered to preven future health problems. Retained testicles also seem to have a negative effect on temperament.

My chihuahua had a tumor in one testicle causing atrophy due to the estrogen like effects. He was an adult when I got him so he was not neutered.
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

i can't imagine this is a *condition*, unless there is an underlying problem, in which case should be very noticable. its just the way the skin is. after taking several A&P classes, i wouldn't worry about this. i've had many dogs over the years with black balls. weird, but nothing to worry about...lol.i forget exactly what its called, but the color pigments, maybe melanin, causes the cells and tissue to be a certain color. think of multicolored/spotted dogs, a chow chows blue tongue, my boxer has black and pink pads....see what i mean?
    i'm just going over memory of what ive learned in my college classes, if i'm wrong please correct me!
    Paige

Quote Originally Posted by PPotier1 View Post
    i can't imagine this is a *condition*, unless there is an underlying problem, in which case should be very noticable. its just the way the skin is. after taking several A&P classes, i wouldn't worry about this. i've had many dogs over the years with black balls. weird, but nothing to worry about...lol.i forget exactly what its called, but the color pigments, maybe melanin, causes the cells and tissue to be a certain color. think of multicolored/spotted dogs, a chow chows blue tongue, my boxer has black and pink pads....see what i mean?
    i'm just going over memory of what ive learned in my college classes, if i'm wrong please correct me!
    Paige
    In all likelyhood it IS just the normal pigmentation of the skin, and nothing to be worried about. On the other hand, if the skin wasn't black to begin with, and has turned black, it's possible there could be something going on.

Hypothyroidism will cause hyperpigmentation. So will irritation. I've had Dachshunds with really deep chests, and they develop a patch of black skin on their chests due to their habit of resting their chest on the floor while they play. They put their chest to the floor and push with their rear legs while they slap the floor with their front feet, scooting along on their "keel". Funny to watch, but it pulls the hair out, and eventually the skin turns black.

I've also seen this "condition" in intact males who lick themselves a lot because of having themselves a "little thought" or with older males that have prostate problems.