Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Home made ear cleaner

I just found several recipes for home made ear cleaners on google and was wondering if anyone else has made them and likes them? They basically take rubbing alcohol, glycerin, boric acid or betadine ,and white vinegar. I asked the pharmacist how long this could be kept once mixed and he said probably about a month at a time. I tried one of the combinations- rubbing alc. glycerin, boric acid and vinegar on my dogs ears and it cleaned them very well and no reactions. Does anyone else make their own? Have they had any reactions? Thanks. Aleta

Are you asking about daily ear cleaning, or infected, gunky cocker ear treatment? For general cleaning, a vinegar/water solution is common with the old school bunch (as long as you don't mind your dogs smelling like a pickle). I like to use Witch Hazel because it's very gentle. The other mixes with betadine, boric acid, gentian violet and such are usually for treating infections (google "Blue Power Ear Wash" for a recipe). Blue Power is a very popular home-made treatment with cocker breeders.

I use alcohol and white vinegar 50/50. My vet recommended it and although it doesn't smell the greatest it works very well. I've never had a customer complain about a reaction.

We make our own... we use mouthwash (the brown Equate brand at WalMart) and peroxide, 50/50. It smells good, doesn't burn and have never had a dog react to it.

Default WOW!

Seriously?

I have a recipe on my blog for a simple homemade ear cleaner- breaks up wax great, smells good and does not sting.
    8 oz Minted Witch Hazel
    2 Drops of Clove Oil
    5 Drops of Tea tree Oil
    Now, Kimberly, here's a chance to educate me, tell me what you think of it, and why!
    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    www.ChrisSertzel.com

Hey Windyway, can you use plain witch hazel or does it need to be the minted kind? I was thinking maybe that was for scent? Anyway I'm thinking about trying that but currently have a huge bottle of the plain witch hazel...

Hey, Chris, that's great! That sounds very similar to my favorite ear cleaner! (ark naturals) Would it be possible to add cinnamon to it? For the scent?
    There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Witch Hazel, especialy with mint and tea tree oil is just too astringent and to abrasive to the cell membrane. They are not killing any yeast, bacterial, fungal or other issues and God forbid, you any of that in the eye. If it doesnt safely mix with water than it is not beneficial, I can see where you would think that that is cleaning and killing but it isnt. It exaserbates the issue by irritating the tissue to an even more inflamed state, and opening up the cell to further damage by free radicals of all sorts.

Keweenaw Peninsula, Upper Michigan (Da Yoop)

Quote Originally Posted by kimberluvsk9 View Post
    They are not killing any yeast, bacterial, fungal or other issues and God forbid, you any of that in the eye. If it doesnt safely mix with water than it is not beneficial, I can see where you would think that that is cleaning and killing but it isnt. It exaserbates the issue by irritating the tissue to an even more inflamed state, and opening up the cell to further damage by free radicals of all sorts.
    1. Tea tree oil is a proven anti fungal, antibacterial, antiviral, and has strong anti-inflammatory properties.
    (Sources: http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/20872423, http://www.springerlink.com/content/g02a20fkq1j2eevr/)

2. Witch Hazel is an effective astringent due to the high amount of tannins it contains (which is why you want the minted variety, most store brands contain a low concentration of this), and has anti-inflammatory properties. (Source: http://www.drugs.com/npc/witch-hazel.html)

3. Red clover is a rich source of many vitamins and has long been used to treat psoriasis, eczema, and other rashes. (Source: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/r...ver-000270.htm)

I would love to see what research you have that supports the idea that this combination is too abrasive to the cell membrane considering commercial ear cleaners use such abrasive agents like alcohol, peroxide, and boric acid. (And please no anecdotal explanations, I want scientific research thank you.)

I feel like I should grab some popcorn...

You should continue to use what ever you feel comfortable with my dear, If I posted my research, I would hope you would have time and background correlllation in other subjects to begin. I do agree that you are right in these respects but not for this application, or on dogs period.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast