Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Best brush for a greyhound & what about that dry skin?

My greyhound is shedding a lot right now and she has majorly dry skin. We usually don't bath her unless she stinks or is really dirty but soemone suggested oatmeal shampoo so we did that today. It sure helped to get a lot of the flakes and the hair out but its not a lonmg term solution right? So what's the ebst brush to get the dead hair of? Would hard slicker brush be the right hing? And is there anything else we can do about her dry skin? She is on a high quality diet and we've been adding fishoil and eggs, is there anything I can do on the outside to make it better? Iknow part of it is the dry, cold weather but it would be nice to improve it a bit.

Thanks!

Sarah

Default Hound Mitt

Try using a hound mitt or a rubber curry brush. I would also use a mink oil spray on her to help with her dry skin. To get rid of the flakes temporarily you can spray her with a diluted solution of listerine and water.

Default No slicker brush!!

I would use oatmeal shampoo and a high quality conditioner to improve the condition of her skin at least every 4 weeks. I bathe my italian greyhound mix every two weeks, and he has very delicate skin. A good shampoo and conditioner will improve her skin, and is safe and smart to do regularly. And, to help with the shedding, I would use a zoom groom but be VERY careful of brush burn (IE as soon as her skin starts to get pink because of the friction, STOP.)

A slicker brush isn't made for a thick coat, not for a greyhound, and would hurt her.

Smile

Thanks! I always thought hard slicker brushers are for short soft for long coats (or maybe the other way round). Any recommendations what a good conditioner is? I bought a regular Oatmeal shampoo, nothng fancy, I think the bottle was about 7$ (is it okay to write this?). I'll definitly give her another bath, but I really don't want to overdo it, so I will definitly wait two weeks at least.

Post Rubber curry

The rubber curry would be the best to get rid of dead hair and spread skin oils through the coat. That's what I use for my whippet/boxer mix.

Hi Sarah -

Another idea is to run a humidifier at home. The air from the heater is super dry and I have found the humidifer works for both the pups and myself.

Hope this helps,
    Hindy

Some greys have a tremendous amount of undercoat during the winter. As mentioned, using a hound mitt after a bath helps and using a stripping knife once or twice a week will decrease the shedding. Omega oils in the food will help with the flakies.

How's her food? That's makes a huge difference.

Hi Sara, something else you can do to help exfoliate her skin is to use a natural scrub like olive oil and brown sugar. You can make it yourself and it is easy to do then follow it up w/the shampoo and a good conditioner, or you can just mix it w/the shampoo and scrub really well then shampoo again.

You can use a oatmeal conditioner as well if you want (usually can't go wrong w/oatmeal). I also like using a rubber curry on my Boxer instead of traditional dog brushes. It is a lot better for their skin and really gets rid of the dead hair. You can also spritz your pup w/a leave on conditioner in-between to help keep the skin moisturized. Like was already mentioned, this time of the year w/the heaters and cold is harsh on dogs skin just like it is on ours. Good Luck!
    SheilaB from SC

The best way to get rid of that shedding hair is to take her to the groomer. let them us their HV dryer to force that hair off. i found a great spray at Sally Beauty it is Olive oil spray on glosser. this works great to put the shine and get rid of flakes. for a greyhound i would use the chris christen ionic boar brush. It is not cheap, but really worth it's weight in gold.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Two questions: What do you consider "Good Food"? and Do you bath your dog at home (and, if so, with what shampoo)?

There are a lot of so called "high quality" dog foods out there that are really not much better than standard grocery store junk. Personally, I like Solid Gold, but there are other very good brands out there.

If the shampoo is too harsh for a dog, or it isn't getting completely rinsed out, you can get skin irritation and flaking. A professional groomer will use the proper shampoo and conditioner for your dogs coat. Then use a high velocity dryer to get the water and loose undercoat off your dog. A rubber brush (like the zoom groom) works wonders on getting the remaining loose hair off and a natural fiber boar bristle brushing helps to spread the natural oils and give the coat a nice shine.

First off, if you're adding eggs to her diet, they have to be cooked. Raw egg white isn't very digestible, and it binds with the B vitamins in her food so they can't be utilized. Among other things, this results in dry skin. You can poach or boil the eggs before feeding, and the yolk can still be soft. Just be sure the whites are cooked.

A lot of dry skin at this time of year is due to low humidity. A humidifier will work wonders, not only for her skin, but yours. If you don't have a humidifier, put a very large pot of water on the stove and simmer it. Or make soup, lol.

If you haven't had one checked in the last 6 months, get a stool sample to the vet. Worms will cause poor condition and dry skin.

You also need to be sure you're rinsing the shampoo very well. Any residue will cause flaking. Mix a cup of cider vinegar in a gallon of warm water and use it after you rinse the shampoo to remove any residue. Then apply conditioner and rinse again. Personally I don't care for oatmeal shampoo. IMO a moisturizing shampoo would be better. And a good conditioner, such as ReFurbish will help moisturize.

A rubber curry or hound mitt is OK, but IMO a Zoom Groom curry is better. You can use it to scrub when you bathe, and when she's dry to remove even more dead hair. Unlike a lot of rubber curries, the Zoom Groom is soft. No need to worry about irritating the skin with vigorous brushing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast