Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Liquid Bandage

Default Liquid Bandage

is it ok to use NEW SKIN liquid bandage on dogs? or do you need to use a liquid skin made specifically for dogs?
    Last edited by 4thedog; 01-25-08 at 03:46 PM.

In the vet clinic, we always used Nexaband or VetBond. It doesn't matter if it is the human or vet product. We used them in de-claws, minor lacerations and to "tuck in" the last stitch in a "hidden stitch" spay and castration surgery. The important part is to not touch the end to anything, let the drop fall into place, or use a new application tip for each use.

BUT, why do you need the stuff? If you are lacerating pets, you don't want to hide it from the owner. You want to send them to their vet so you don't get sued for practicing vet medicine...not trying to be mean or anything, just my moral opinion. Depending on how bad the cut was, the glue could wear off before the site was healed. What if the nick was in a high-stress area, like an armpit or groin? One wrong move and that little nick could tear into a long opening and then we're talkin' stitches.

First of all, it burns like a sonofagun, so I wouldn't do it for that reason.

Second I think it should be left up to a vet to use anything like that on a dog, or with a vets permission, I suppose.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

I always keep a fresh bottle of Nexaband on hand. I use it if I cut an ear. I do always tell the owner.

im asking because i cut a dogs pad recently and i happened to be where id gone to grooming school (of all things) and after yelling at me and telling me that this type of thing cant happen, my old teacher had her assistant put liquid bandage on the pad.
    Quote Originally Posted by PAWS View Post
    BUT, why do you need the stuff?
    i thought itd be a good thing to have on hand in an emergency, because i think it was listed in one of the "what to have in your emergency kit" lists.
    Quote Originally Posted by PAWS View Post
    If you are lacerating pets, you don't want to hide it from the owner.
    I dont hide mistakes ive made from owners and do make the owners aware of any potential problems which could arise with their dogs due to a mistake ive made, even at the risk of worrying them unnecessarily.

knock on wood i have not yet nicked an area like an armpit or groin. and i actually dont think it would occur to me to put liquid bandage on areas like those. gauze is also one of the things listed in that emergency kit list!
    Last edited by 4thedog; 01-26-08 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4thedog View Post
    is it ok to use NEW SKIN liquid bandage on dogs? or do you need to use a liquid skin made specifically for dogs?
    New skin will protect the wound, but won't stop bleeding. I would not even bother. If it is that bad that it needsa bandage, just use some vet wrap.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

I'm a relatively new groomer so I have no problems admitting that I have nicked my share of dogs (always happens if I am rushing). Every nick has been very minor. I will apply pressure until it stops bleeding and then will apply a little drop of the glue. My thinking is that it will help to heal and it will help to prevent foreign bodies from getting in. I work at a vet clinic so I show the nick to a vet to make sure it's not serious and then I always inform the client and ask them to keep an eye on it for redness or swelling.

I would always have some liquid bandage around. Accidents happen.

BTW I get back cracks in the heals on my feet and the corners of my fingers. Gel super glue works great.

I'm with Tammy. Have you ever used liquid bandage personally? I bought some for my son, but i had to use it for myself before I put it on him. It BURNED soooooo bad I was cursing up a storm! I was horrified that i was about to put it on my kid (who I probably would have thought was "being dramatic" had he told me it burned) and I was horrified that I bought some for use in grooming in case I needed it. I threw it all away. I can't believe anyone uses that stuff.

Liquid bandage DOES burn, but Nexaband and Super Glue do not. Not sure what the difference is, but they do not burn at all. I have used them more times than i can count.....ON MYSELF! I am horrid about catching the skin on my left hand with the tips of my shears and slicing a nice V into it. Fingers, hands...it doesnt matter.

For cuts on dogs that are bleeding I use silver nitrate to stop the bleeding and then a drop of glue and seal it shut, tell the owner and pay the bill if it needs to go to the vet. VERY SELDOM does that happen.

New Skin Liquid Bandage is meant to cover a wound and provide a waterproof seal to protect. It isn't meant to close a nick. Bowlers and other people participating in sports will also use it to provide and extra layer of protection to areas that are prone to developing blisters. And it does burn like the dickens if you use it on broken skin.

There are products that will glue a small nick closed and stop bleeding. I don't have a problem with using them, so long as the owner is made aware that there's been an injury. I'd rather glue up a nicked ear and send the owner to the vet than send them out the door with a dog that's oozing blood all over.

But it has to be a very minor injury, and we all know what I'm talking about. Not squirting blood, not gaping open, less than 1/2 inch in length, and involving skin only. If the nick/cut extends past the skin into the muscle, it needs vet attention. If it's in an area that will easily tear farther, it needs to be treated by a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by 4thedog View Post
    im asking because i cut a dogs pad recently and i happened to be where id gone to grooming school (of all things) and after yelling at me and telling me that this type of thing cant happen, my old teacher had her assistant put liquid bandage on the pad.

i thought itd be a good thing to have on hand in an emergency, because i think it was listed in one of the "what to have in your emergency kit" lists.
    I dont hide mistakes ive made from owners and do make the owners aware of any potential problems which could arise with their dogs due to a mistake ive made, even at the risk of worrying them unnecessarily.

knock on wood i have not yet nicked an area like an armpit or groin. and i actually dont think it would occur to me to put glue on areas like those. gauze is also one of the things listed in that emergency kit list!
    That's good that you would tell the owner! I just had to make sure, you never know when people ask these things, LOL! I was reading the other replies, and I didn't realize you said NEW SKIN (I mean I saw it, but my mind went right to glue). It is not meant to 'glue' two sides of a cut together, and is different than Nexaband. Actually, there is a vet product called Facilitator Liquid Bandage that I think is similar to NEW SKIN, like Helly said, that is used like a band-aid that moves with the skin. I am sorry you got yelled at, accidents happen, that's why they are called accidents. If you do ever use the Nexaband or Vetbond on an actual cut, I just wanted to inform you that the tearing can happen, and they should see their vet also, not just expect the glue to be enough if it's more than a little nick!

It's funny this thread is up, because my cat who is indoor, snuck outside yesterday. He came home with a few punctures and a small tear in his groin, involving only the skin layer. It is very small, but we went to the pharmacy looking for some skin glue, and the pharmacist had no idea what I was talking about! All they had was NEW SKIN. I think I will order some Nexaband to have on hand, I remember seeing it for order from a couple suppliers. Just FYI, when I was teching at the clinic, it was around $15 for a tiny little squeeze bottle...

A co worker and I were trying to open a new tube of some brand of liquid bandage stuff and when I punctured the seal, it exploded all over me! My hands were a bit weird feeling for a few days. Crusty and stiff. Took forever to scrape off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast