Question "Natural Defense" flea and tick control

It's put out by Sentry.
    Has anyone ever tried it? Does it really work?
    I'd LOVE to find a natural killer of fleas. My dogs occasionally get them, and Keltie immediately gets sooo itchy, and red, and starts loosing the fur on her tummy, even before any of the others show any signs of fleas.
    Previously, I've used Advantage, it really works, but I HATE having to use chemicals.
    So have I found something that works??

i have yet to find anything natural to get rid of fleas. advantage and frontline is all there is. i would be willing to try something recommended though. ...

fleas and ticks are nothing to play around with, ESPECIALLY if your dog has flea allergies. that is awful. we had a dog along time ago that had these allergies and mannnnnn, it was bad!

Yeah, I know. Anytime we get fleas out comes the Advantage. *sigh*
    Last time out came the Isles Paste too (yup, the stuff used on baby's bottoms when they get diaper rash). Keltie's tummy got so red and itchy I smeared isles paste all over it. Then, to keep it from smearing all over everything else, I put a pair of underwear and kids leotards on her. She wasn't impressed. But it worked so well! After about a week of daily smearing the red was gone. :-)

Default boric acid

Kills anything that wears its skeleton on the outside. Fleas, ticks, spiders,crickets,silverfish,earwigs, etc. Put it on the floor, not the dog. If you need immediate knockdown K-9 Adavantix is effective at 1/5 the recommended dose.
    The boric acid remains effective until you steam clean. Then reapply. For those wondering if it is safe, it is an eye wash remedy.
    For our purposes it will be labeled Roach Powder. Oh yeah, it kills roaches.
    lauri

Big Grin

Yep I have used it. I had a dog with epilepsy so my vet recommended it for him because he couldn't be exposed to any chemicals. He never got fleas and he came to work with me everyday so his risk was rather high for infestation. The only thing is your dog will walk around smelling like Ben Gay. It has a VERY strong mint smell to it. It does go away after a couple of days. But in my opinion it was much better than chemicals. It does seem to leave an oily spot longer than frontline does. And I am not sure if it is waterproof.

I use De Flea shampoo in my shop. It works really well and also helps with the bad skin.

It's put out by Natural Chemistry.
    boxerluv

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by leslee_travis View Post
    Yep I have used it. I had a dog with epilepsy so my vet recommended it for him because he couldn't be exposed to any chemicals. He never got fleas and he came to work with me everyday so his risk was rather high for infestation. The only thing is your dog will walk around smelling like Ben Gay. It has a VERY strong mint smell to it. It does go away after a couple of days. But in my opinion it was much better than chemicals. It does seem to leave an oily spot longer than frontline does. And I am not sure if it is waterproof.
    It works? Oh goody!
    I love the smell of mint! I'll have to get some so that I can use it next time they get fleas. (Which, thankfully isn't often)

I tried the Natural Defense spray. I don't like the chemicals either, but had such a battle with fleas this past year I can't even tell you how frustrated I was. It seems like I tried everything and nothing worked. The only thing I didn't use was Advantage or Advantix. Frontline didn't work, bathing regularly didn't work, Adams spray didn't work in the house or on the dogs, bombing didn't work. I used Biospot this last time, which I thought was the el cheapo stuff, but haven't had any fleas yet, and put it on them around Christmas. Never had an infestation all year, but would find about 5 fleas on each dog every time I bathed them (every 2 wks or so). This coming fleas season I'm going to start with the Advantage or Advantix and then alternate with the Biospot. I never used to have to use flea stuff all year long, this is the first time in years that I've used it more than 4 months out of the year.
    Erin
    No Fur, No Paws, No Service.
    [url]www.LittleShopOfHowlers.com[/url]

Default Natural way eh?

According to holistic vets, the key is for your pet to have maximal health. Some supplements can help make your pet unpalatable to fleas: Nutritional Yeast, garlic or capsules. There is a flower essence can be misted in the house, pets or out of doors. www.greenhopeessences.com

If you want to read books about holistic way to fight fleas, try "Flea control: A holistic and humorous approach" by Chip Sammons http://www.holisticpetcenter.com/book.htm
    "Homeopathic Care for Cats and Dgos" by Don Hamilton
    "The Goldsteins' Wellness & Longevity Program For Dogs & Cats"

Dr goldstein, a holistic vet, sells an Internal Powder and herbal remedy for fleas in his store or website.
    http://www.healingcenterforanimals.c...InternalPowder
    http://www.healingcenterforanimals.c...gory_Code=EAHR

I hate the chemicals too, so I tried the Sentry for our cats and dogs and it worked as well as water unfortunately. I was disappointed. Advantage or Advantix are currently the only things that work in my area. I used to use BioSpot and it did work for awhile. I still sell it in the shop becuase it is a cheaper alternative and it does work for alot of people. I think it depends on the fleas in your area. I think it was Helly that mentioned fleas get immune to pesticides, which completely makes sense to me as to why sometimes these products work and sometimes they don't. I'm already dreading flea season!

Default Flea Treats

We just got them not too long ago and my boss started using them. They work great. It boots the B-12 in the dog or cats system and it makes the pet distasteful (lol) to the flea. We also sell flea busters which is pretty much the same as the boric acide remedy though I think it has some other things in it, but it is labeled "as safe as table salt" and it only has to be applied once a year around the perimeter of the room, not even over the whole surface.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Always check the ingredients of the sentry stuff, some of their products still have pesticides and others don't. I believe the topical treatment and the home spray do and the topical spray doesn't, I could be wrong though. The spray also leaves them really greasey.

I have kept it around and used it in emergency situations (if I saw one flea for example) but until I ran into a tick problem I just gave mine garlic and in the year and a half I lived in FL I only found 2 or 3 fleas on Mollie, all of which were picked up from work because the kennel techs didn't do their job and check the dogs for fleas. (grumblegrumble)