Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile New Flea Pill: Comfortis

I have a client with the hairest poodle I've ever seen. There is not one cm on his body without hair. Well, maybe one place LOL. Seriously, the hairest dog ever. The underside of his ears look like furry mittens. You can't see his skin, anywhere.

Imagine flea infestation on this dog. He had them and he had them badly. I had to tell her I couldn't groom her dog until they were under control. She called and said he was flea free. When I went to groom him, he looked great. I couldn't believe it. I thought for sure some fleas would be lost in that jungle and I had dip and shampoo ready.

Comfortis by Lilly is a new pill that is out. It's a once a month pill. Pretty equal in price to Frontline. Client said when she gave dog the pill, he laid down on the couch, got up about 15 minutes later and there were dead fleas on the couch in a pile. They just fell off him. Isn't that wild? Again, I can attest to the serious flea problem that dog had before this pill and how he was flea free after the pill. I saw him the next day after he got the pill.

If you sell flea treatments, this would be a great one to get.

Default googled it..

http://www.vetproductforum.com/B1239/index.html

It notes that it is a prescription-only flea product. I very rarely have a client with any fleas, but have administered and sold Capstar, but that is only a temporary treatment until the client can administer Frontline or Advantix.

This sounds like a wonderful product.

I did some quick research on this med. after your post. The active ingredient is Spinosad. When I did a search on Spinosad, this is a little bit of what I found: <<Spinosad is the common name of a mixture of spinosyn A and spinosyn D, two molecules derived naturally from a bacteria through fermentation. >> <<<In addition, chronic toxicology tests in mammals have shown that spinosad is not carcinogenic, teratogenic, mutagenic or neurotoxic. >>>

It is not approved or recommended for use in cats. It sounds very good, but for myself, I like to wait a couple of years to see if any problems come up with use in "the real world". I worked at a vet's years ago and was one of the first ones to use the Proheart injection and almost lost one of my borzoi from a drug reaction only to find them pull the product after a couple of years on the market. I am going to find out if the vets in my area are carrying the product. Because it is an oral pill, I would not carry it in my shop as I won't give any oral med. to client's dogs. Too many legal concerns there.

I really hope this one works where the others are beginning to fail! Used to be that the topical products worked great, now I'm seeing more and more fleas and the customers are telling me that the Frontline and Advantage aren't working. Guess the little buggers get immunities to EVERYTHING eventually. I'll be talking to my vet about this!! Any side effects?

I don't give my dogs any chemicals for any reason. What they say is safe now, will eventually come back to haunt us, as so many other things have done.

Default Three weeks on it......

Not one flea in sight. It acts much like Capstar in that it creates a nicotine overdose reaction in the fleas killing them. It isn't nicotine, but the flease nervous system reacts to it as if it were.

I bought a pack of the extra large and it is the same dose per pill as the small one is times TEN. SO I got ten doses for my small dogs out of one pill. I crushed it, diluted it in enough water to make 10ccs and then dosed it. I gave the larger dogs two doses. It took 3 pills to do all my dogs (I have 22 on it).

Even my flea magnet that hangs out at the shop under my table is flea free.

I had one dog throw up after it was given. She is an older poodle and I am not sure the Comfortis is the reason she threw up. It could have been her gulping her food for all I know.

The cost was $80 for 6 pills and I got two months worth out of it.

I am all for anything that will keep ALL the fleas off of ALL my dogs. I didnt dose three of them and they dont have any either, so I might try only dosing half the dogs, like alternating who gets it and who doesnt if the fleas stay gone!
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

My own veterinarian is recommending this very strongly, and he is not the type to "sell" anything.

My vet said no way is he reccomending it till it is on the market for a few years. Scares me that you give a dog a pill and it kills the fleas. what is that doing to their system.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Well, I am a little more apt to try it since I know two clients of mine who were in the test market for this pill 5 years ago. It was tested in an area they were visiting at the time and they both got in on it.
    They were sent the product after they left the area becasue they were part of the test. I knew about it but I couldnt get in on it.
    I havebeen awaiting the release of this for years! I saw what it did for them. I didn't know the name of it until it was announced last year.

"Comfort is" no fleas! That is where they got the name for the product.

The pesticide is one that affects a fleas nervous system but not a dogs. there is a very small amount of it in the pill and it affects fleas just like the ingredient in Capstar. They are the same in the way they work, just the delivery method is different.

They do reccomend ill dogs or those with liver problems not take it, but that is it with any flea preventative isn't it?

I guess if you live where I do and have the fleas we do its different. I grew up in the NE and we didnt have fleas. We have them here let me tell you! And Frontline and Advantage, well they work ok, but the fleas have become immune.

Toto has had fleas two days after Frontline and has to have Advantage reapplied every week. This pill has offered him the most relief he has had from fleas in his entire life. THAT makes me smile and THAT makes it worth it to me! he is a flea magnet. If there is a flea within 5 m iles it will find him, add to it the fact that he lives under my grooming table evey day......well, poor guy couldn't catch a break.

The "pesticide" in this product won several awards after being developed because of its safety and the way in which it works. It is NOT a poison like so many others, it attacks an insects nervous system, but it doesn't affect mammals. Much like the chemicals in Advantage and Frontline.

I would not be so happy about htis if it hadn't been tested in my clients, perhaps, but like I said, I am all for whatever works and this works.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Laugh Comfortis dosing question

[QUOTE=Particentral;138808]

I bought a pack of the extra large and it is the same dose per pill as the small one is times TEN. SO I got ten doses for my small dogs out of one pill. I crushed it, diluted it in enough water to make 10ccs and then dosed it. I gave the larger dogs two doses. It took 3 pills to do all my dogs (I have 22 on it).

Thank you so much for posting this information. It has been very useful to my decision making process on whether or not to use this product, and how. Couple of quick questions:

1. Do you still use the product (ie. you haven't had any bad experiences with it since this post?)
    2. You say that the extra large pill is TEN times the dosage as the one for small dogs, but the FDA site for the drug shows that it is roughly 11.5 times the small dog dose. Was that just an estimate, or maybe they have changed the dosage since the FDA page I was looking at was updated?
    3. I would love to be able to follow your technique in dosing multiple dogs. So, you crushed one pill and diluted it with water to make 10ccs. Is that 10ccs for the whole pill? If so, how much did you give as a "dose?" Or... was that 10ccs per dose and use 1/10 of the pill powder per dose?
    4. How big are your "small dogs" that you used it on, on average? I have 2 chihuahuas, one about 4 lbs, the other about 7 lbs. And, my sister used the small dose pill on her chihuahua that is about 3.5 lbs, with no ill effect, and wonderful results.
    4. Do you know anyone that uses it on cats? I have read that it is used on both. But, I have also read that it is not recommended for cats. So, just wondering if you have heard of it? I'm still conducting research on whether or not to switch my cats to it as well.

Thanking you in advance,
    Sue ( TtopTA )

There is now yet another new pill out. Trifectis......flea and hwm combined. Seems to be working well for my clients.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

I have used it for years on my dogs (40 lb hound mix and 10lb Boston terrier) I love it. I am allergic to frontline and advantix. I have recently started using it on my 18lb welsh terrier. No reactions. I started using it because my vet told me since my daughter was a toddler who played and rolled around with the dogs, it would be a safer option to use a oral rather than topical treatment. I live in Texas and fleas are horrible year round and I don't have an issue. Also, I started using it because one of my tiny maltese clients used to have a bad flea problem. Once she started taking it she was much better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast