PDA

View Full Version : How long does one gallon of undiluted shampoo last you?

groominglife
09-13-07, 04:27 PM
How many dogs do you think you get out of a one gallon bottle of shampoo. I'm wondering if i'm wasting to much. (I hand wash). I'm switching over to diluted shampoos as soon as my employer orders some. The past groomer had only used stuff that was ready to use.

Gracy Rose
09-13-07, 05:53 PM
Well, it should last you about 100 grooms. This is based on 64oz in a gallon. One ounce is quite alot for small dogs but others you may need a little more.

I have a Hanvey van and it has a pump that disperses your shampoo then I use a bathing system. Each squirt is about .5 oz.

YorkieGal
09-13-07, 07:12 PM
It depends on the dilution of the shampoo. Most of my shampoos dilute 16 to 1. I mix a gallon at a time using about 2 ounces per gallon. two dogs per gallon so about 60 small to medium dogs.

Aussheplady
09-13-07, 07:19 PM
If you are hand washing, you should not be using concentrate shampoos without diluting them.
I use a bathing system and use the shampoo undiluted directly into the wash water at about 1-2 tablespoons/bath (depending on the concentration of the shampoo. Multi pet households with small dogs, I bathe 2 at a time. I have no idea just how long a gallon lasts, but I know I don't go through shampoo very fast at all.

4Newfs
09-13-07, 08:35 PM
Even hand washing, you should still be diluting most of your shampoos. We use Eqyss which dilutes 16 to 1 (at least the premier does). That's 16 gallons of shampoo per gallon of concentrate. We then break those 16 gallons down into 4 - 32oz squirt bottles, each of which will usually do 1 1/2 dogs (average size). So that's 4 x 16 x 1.5 which is 96 dogs per gallon of concentrate. Give or take... LOL

Helly
09-13-07, 09:16 PM
Even shampoo that's supposedly ready to use should be diluted. Remember, you're going to add water anyway. Why not just dilute it first? It'll be easier to apply, go farther, and be easier to rinse.

RoosMom
09-13-07, 10:32 PM
Depends on the concentration of the shampoo- some are as low as 8to1, some as high as 50to1. I always dilute even so-called ready to use shampoos, and tell my clients to do the same thing if they're bathing in between appointments.

groominglife
09-14-07, 05:14 AM
How many dogs do you think you get out of a one gallon bottle of shampoo. I'm wondering if i'm wasting to much. (I hand wash). I'm switching over to diluted shampoos as soon as my employer orders some. The past groomer had only used stuff that was ready to use.

The shampoo i'm using right now is not supposed to be diluted. Its ready to use in gallon bottles. I think you guys are thinking that i'm not diluting a shampoo that is supposed to. I didn't pick these shampoos out - the last groomer who lasted one day did. I've gotta work with these until they order a new batch of shampoos.

groominglife
09-14-07, 05:17 AM
Even shampoo that's supposedly ready to use should be diluted. Remember, you're going to add water anyway. Why not just dilute it first? It'll be easier to apply, go farther, and be easier to rinse.

I'm the same way. I still do 4:1-5:1 or so with the the oatmeal shampoo or else it gets too watery. But with the tearless the shampoos all ready really thin I stick with 2:1 maybe 3:1

Briarpatch
09-14-07, 06:44 AM
Wow! I only use a small amount (probably 1-2 TBS. of Diluted shampoo) in the water with the bathing beauty. I have a water softener which must make a HUGE difference. A gal. of Best Shot lasts me about 160-200 grooms!

k9stylist1968
09-14-07, 06:51 AM
Well, it should last you about 100 grooms. This is based on 64oz in a gallon. One ounce is quite alot for small dogs but others you may need a little more.

I have a Hanvey van and it has a pump that disperses your shampoo then I use a bathing system. Each squirt is about .5 oz.

Umm, a gallon is 128 ounces....

Pixie
09-14-07, 09:26 AM
There is just way too much math in this post. My mind is just not into it (math that is)

My shampoo is 24-1 and I use it until I'm out and have to order more.LOL

baddog
09-14-07, 10:16 AM

Bahabhabha, I was thinking the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nettie906
09-14-07, 11:17 AM
There is just way too much math in this post. My mind is just not into it (math that is)

My shampoo is 24-1 and I use it until I'm out and have to order more.LOL

LOL I'm with you Pixie...i use it until it's time to order!!!! :D

Admin
09-14-07, 12:18 PM
Hmmm. I think I just figured out the questions for the next board trivia contest.

sheilabgroomer
09-14-07, 01:01 PM
Hmmm. I think I just figured out the questions for the next board trivia contest.

Just as long as you don't ask how much a ton of feathers weighs...lol.. (joke between me and my hubby....don't ask...lol).

Bow wow style
09-14-07, 01:34 PM
I think I use to much ??? I add about 1/4 to a 32oz bottle , then fill it with water. I use a great sampoo, but if I water it down more it just doen't get a clean feel! (groomer's Choice)

scrubapup
09-14-07, 01:38 PM
Kelco dilutes 50:1 so a gallon lasts me quite awhile. (I hand wash) But I've honestly never figured out how much I go through, or how fast. Math is not my friend.

GriffonsMOM
09-14-07, 05:15 PM
I've been open 7 weeks and started with 4 gallons of Stazko....and one each of the Ikaria scents......staz dilutes 15-1 and Ikaria 4-1. So far I've done about 220(rough guess) dogs and still have 3 1/2 bottles of the Staz and the Ikaria's are about half full........I'll reorder the Ikaria next week i think but am good on the rest....to sit and figure out in any more detail how much shampoo I go through would give me a headache. hope this answers your question some what.

K-9 Designs
09-14-07, 05:37 PM
I use the Grimeinator and 1 gallon will last about 200 grooms. I also mix it 3oz to 1 gallon of water, and I am using the garden sprayer as my shampoo dispenser.

watt-a-dog
09-15-07, 03:07 AM
A gallon last me ages!, couldent give an ezact but I guess aprox 200-300 dogs depending on size & coat, (oviosly I use more fer a newfie than I do a yorkie) average of 1/3to1/2 oz shampoo, my main shampoo is ShowSeasons 84-1

Gracy Rose
09-15-07, 08:45 AM

Umm okay know-it-all :-)lol. You are right. I was doing the math before my brain was awake.

CockerPoodleDoo
09-15-07, 09:32 AM
I use the Grimeinator and 1 gallon will last about 200 grooms. I also mix it 3oz to 1 gallon of water, and I am using the garden sprayer as my shampoo dispenser.

What do you mean the garden sprayer? I saw this thing at Lowes for washing cars that you put the car wash in a little container that is attached to a hose nozzle and it sprays out the diluted mix. I always wondered if that would work for washing dogs until I get my bathing system? Right now I hand wash.

Gracy Rose
09-15-07, 12:01 PM
Hi Cocker,

Go into the weed control isle at Home Depot- they have this attachment for your hose with a screw on container. You can buy extra containers and fill each one with a different shampoo. This is what a lot of groomers refer to as a "Bowser Blaster".

K-9 Designs
09-15-07, 08:47 PM
I have a 3 gallon garden sprayer. You pump up the pressure and spray. I can adjust the flow at the tip of the wand. I love it! I think you can get one for around $30 -$40 if they are not a seasonal item.

keyray
09-15-07, 09:40 PM
Hi Cocker,

Go into the weed control isle at Home Depot- they have this attachment for your hose with a screw on container. You can buy extra containers and fill each one with a different shampoo. This is what a lot of groomers refer to as a "Bowser Blaster".

What a GREAT idea!!! I am going to try that.

Ruggins
09-15-07, 11:49 PM
Oh yeah, walmart garden department $10.00! I use the Or**o weed sprayer which attaches to your hose. It is about a quart container, so I can use the same dilution I use for my quart mixing bottles then there is a dial on it for xx teaspoons or xx ounces, I usually use an already diluted bottle 15/1 or 30/1 for my grimenator and then dial it to like 2 teaspoons or 4 teaspoons then use a 1/3 to a 1/2 of a container or so per dog, I can wash the dog forever 2 times with extra on f/f/f and they come out squeeky clean and have only used a total of like .25 to .33 ounce of shampoo. It is the moderate amount of soap but high pressure getting it right to the skin and scrubbing with the zoom groom with my other hand that really does it! I also use the brass quick connect couplers, the female on the hose, with male ends on 4 of the weed sprayers pre filled with various already diluted shampoos and conditioners in them, and firemans nozzle spray head for rinsing. works for everything but those undercoat packed newfs/sammys/malamutes!!

CJD
09-16-07, 06:06 AM
I must be in the dark ages using my Propell sqirt bottles to mix.....And what a lovley color of blue they are....lol....Just have to use perm. markers to label....

Carla

Alice
09-16-07, 07:15 AM
Okay, as a newbie, I have a stupid question. I saw a lot of you say that you "hand wash" your dogs. What is the alternative? Machine washing them? I'm not comprehending.

Ruggins
09-16-07, 08:06 AM
To my way of thinking,

Hand wash: ... using strait shampoo (not suggested) or diluted shampoo from squirt bottle directly on dog, then scrubbing w/ fingers, zoom groom or sponge, rinse, repeat.

Machine wash :) ... ~Cheepo way~ 1. Using the above noted weed sprayer w/ diluted shampoo in it attached to your hose and spraying soapy water through out coat with less hand aggitation needed. 2. Using a sump pump with hose attached submerged in tub filled with 4-5 inches of water & 3-4 squirts of shampoo. Soapy water is recirculated through the sump pump with higher velosity to again spray soapy water throughout coat esp. on those newf/sammys/mals to really get to the skin and blow out undercoat.

~spendy/professional way~ the Hydro-Surge, Prima, Bathing Beauty etc. are professionally created tools that do the same thing as the cheepo's above, probably better in many cases, only cost 10-20 times as much. If able to afford I'm sure they are the way to go if not able to afford, above works great.

Basically, 2 kinds of machine, a soap/water mixing and spraying apperatus or a recirculating pump apperatus.

Make sense? :)

Scoop
09-16-07, 08:47 AM
What do you mean the garden sprayer? I saw this thing at Lowes for washing cars that you put the car wash in a little container that is attached to a hose nozzle and it sprays out the diluted mix. I always wondered if that would work for washing dogs until I get my bathing system? Right now I hand wash.

CPD-That is what I use. Mine is actually from Wal-Mart not Lowes. But I still like it a lot. Cleans the the heck out of them, saves my hands, and saves shampoo. The sprayer ones in the garden department (Bowser Blaster) was too heavy for me and hard to handle. Maybe it was just me cause I know a lot of groomers use it.

I am going to buy a bathing system in the near future though.

Scoop-

hairdevil
09-16-07, 09:55 AM
well, let me give you all a heads up on this. I have 2 bathing systems. well 3 if you count hand washing! LOL the hydro surge wall shampoo mixer and the hydro surge pump. When using the wall mount, my shampoo usage was next to nil! I mean I probably ordered shampoo bout every 5/6 months! I usually ordered 4 gallons at a time. Now, with the in the tub pump...I seem to be using more...and the spa lavish only dilutes 10:1...now, hand bathing when Im really in a hurry... uses even more! the wall units master bather, or the hydro surge are definitely the most economical way to go. Well worth the money! and soooo much faster and easier!!

CockerPoodleDoo
09-16-07, 07:07 PM
well, let me give you all a heads up on this. I have 2 bathing systems. well 3 if you count hand washing! LOL the hydro surge wall shampoo mixer and the hydro surge pump. When using the wall mount, my shampoo usage was next to nil! I mean I probably ordered shampoo bout every 5/6 months! I usually ordered 4 gallons at a time. Now, with the in the tub pump...I seem to be using more...and the spa lavish only dilutes 10:1...now, hand bathing when Im really in a hurry... uses even more! the wall units master bather, or the hydro surge are definitely the most economical way to go. Well worth the money! and soooo much faster and easier!!

You think the non-recirculating systems are more economical than recirc? Wouldn't you use less water with a recirc? I currently use wayyy to much water and being mobile, I need to cut back! I'm researching both trying to decide what to buy in the next couple of months. Until then, I think I'm going back to Lowes to get that sprayer I saw!

baddog
09-17-07, 12:23 AM
CPD-That is what I use. Mine is actually from Wal-Mart not Lowes. But I still like it a lot. Cleans the the heck out of them, saves my hands, and saves shampoo. The sprayer ones in the garden department (Bowser Blaster) was too heavy for me and hard to handle. Maybe it was just me cause I know a lot of groomers use it.

Scoop-

Scoop you peaked my interest for my slop sink, it's a stand by for when both tubs are being used.
I went to walmart and the garden guy said they were no longer carrying them. They had them last year and had a hard time getting rid of them...aagghhhh.....did you buy this recently?

keyray
09-17-07, 12:41 AM
Okay, as a newbie, I have a stupid question. I saw a lot of you say that you "hand wash" your dogs. What is the alternative? Machine washing them? I'm not comprehending.

Hee hee, that is funny! That's how they get so many done, they just load up the washing machine.

Scoop
09-17-07, 08:47 AM
Scoop you peaked my interest for my slop sink, it's a stand by for when both tubs are being used.
I went to walmart and the garden guy said they were no longer carrying them. They had them last year and had a hard time getting rid of them...aagghhhh.....did you buy this recently?

Baddog- I got mine in the automotive department. It is used to wash cars. I bought several of them the last time I was at Wal-Mart. I guess a couple months ago. If you can't find one pm me and I would be glad to sell you one. I got them for $5.00 each. Let me know.

Scoop-

baddog
09-17-07, 05:26 PM
OK SCoop, I went back to wallyworld, and they don't carry them anymore, next time you're in there pick me up one or two, pm me and I'll send you a moneyorder for the price plus shipping............Thanks

hairdevil
09-17-07, 08:45 PM
You think the non-recirculating systems are more economical than recirc? Wouldn't you use less water with a recirc? I currently use wayyy to much water and being mobile, I need to cut back! I'm researching both trying to decide what to buy in the next couple of months. Until then, I think I'm going back to Lowes to get that sprayer I saw!

being mobile it might be to your benefit then to use the recirc type. but, water is cheaper than shampoo, so in my salon..it's the wall mounts that win! lol but I keep my pump all set up for the big undercoats...it's great for those!

milhasavilla
09-19-07, 05:10 PM

Scoop-

I went out and bought one of these the same day I saw yours. I love it! It cleans so well and suds much better than hand washing. It is keeping me held over until I buy the real thing. :) Thanks for the idea Scoop!!!

Gracy Rose
09-19-07, 05:59 PM
I found the opposite of Hairdevil- my wall unit from hydrosurge used more shampoo than my recirculator.

CDP- I use a recirculator from Hanvey- I do about 10-12 dogs a day, use maybe half a tank of my water and very little shampoo.

Jengroomer
09-19-07, 06:35 PM
It depends on the dilution of the shampoo. Most of my shampoos dilute 16 to 1. I mix a gallon at a time using about 2 ounces per gallon. two dogs per gallon so about 60 small to medium dogs.

Are you saying you use a gallon of diluted shampoo and it only washes 2 dogs?

kellic
09-19-07, 07:44 PM
But that gallon is only two ounces of shampoo... so she is mostly just using a lot of pre-mixed water.

hairdevil
09-19-07, 08:48 PM
gracy, you must have the shampoo dialed up too high! no way does it use more!

Jengroomer
09-20-07, 05:26 AM
Still seems like a lot. But then it's been ages since I've hand washed.