PDA

View Full Version : For all you Poodle people

Dolly
03-16-14, 02:21 PM
Want to enjoy yourself for a couple of minutes? Go on eBay, and type in the search box: "Poodle vintage charms" There were 152 charms this AM, and all were either the "Town and Country" or the "English Saddle Clip". By the number of charms with The English Saddle, it must have been a very popular cut in its day. I doubt if any groomer does this cut anymore. My old 1987 "The Stone Guide to Dog Grooming for all Breeds" goes in detail on this cut so if any of you Poodle people want to submit your work, I would love to see it. You will probably need to block out about 4 hrs and a bottle of whisky for the groom :>)

Happy Torturing yourself

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Particentral
03-16-14, 02:52 PM
I actually know people who still show in this clip. Its not so hard once the pattern is set.

Doubledogdare
03-16-14, 03:09 PM
That's not a T&C clip you are seeing on those old Poodle charms - it's a Dutch clip.

Prior to the AKC cracking down on spray in the '70's and exhibitors switching to Continentals to accentuate the much shorter packs they had to put on their dogs as a result, virtually ALL Poodles of all varieties were show in English Saddle. If someone showed a dog with rosettes on the hips, it actually made news in the dog magazines.

And for many years a "proper" pet Poodle was put into a Dutch clip.

That explains the styles on the old charms.

BengalCatGuy
03-16-14, 03:49 PM
I had to laugh at this because not to long ago a lady walked into the with 2 toy poodles to inquire about our prices. She was so impressed that I recognized the cut on her dogs as a Royal Dutch. She told me that no other groomer could tell what the cut was. To be honest, when I was a kid in 60's, my Mom's poodle had a Royal Dutch.

Scott

Dolly
03-16-14, 04:30 PM
According to my reference books, I believe a Royal Dutch and a Town and Country are almost the same except on a T&D, the rib cage is shaved from the back of the front leg to the hip, whereas the Royal Dutch, the shave starts in the middle of rib cage to the hip in one book, and the other book shows only a 5/8" shave between the front and back sections. My reference books are old, so this pattern line may have moved a little.

Happy doing a Royal

MamaLurch
03-16-14, 04:46 PM
Very nice to meet you, Dolly. I actually have had your book for many years. It is dog-eared, worn, torn, spilled on and, yes, even got peed on once. It was my saving grace in the early years. I still refer to it whenever I need to refresh my memory on breeds that I don't see often. Thank You so much for the expertise that has gotten me through many a long day of grooming and/or training sessions.

Dolly
03-16-14, 05:43 PM
Very nice to meet you, Dolly. I actually have had your book for many years. It is dog-eared, worn, torn, spilled on and, yes, even got peed on once. It was my saving grace in the early years. I still refer to it whenever I need to refresh my memory on breeds that I don't see often. Thank You so much for the expertise that has gotten me through many a long day of grooming and/or training sessions.

I'm sorry, but I'm not the author of the Stone book.....I may have worded it wrong when I said "my old 1987....", meaning that this was my copy of this book, not that I was the author.....my mistake. I too love that old book.....we had to purchase it during grooming school in 1987.....making me old !! My copy has survived quite well with the avoidance of doggie pee, dog ears and tears. I wonder how many groomers out there still own their copy?

Happy loving the 1980's

Doubledogdare
03-16-14, 06:57 PM
I wonder how many groomers out there still own their copy?

I still have mine but my beyond-a-doubt favorite Poodle grooming book has to be a little paperback thing, "How To Clip A Poodle", written by Dana Miller, no date but it is one of those things that sold for $1 in pet shops in the '60s. Besides the usual pet clips it also has the Shawl clip, the Monkey clip, as well as the Cowboy, Swiss, Sailor Boy and Hillbilly clips.

The book describes the Hillbilly clip as "very amusing".

You really, really don't want to know...:)

Kurt99
03-16-14, 07:11 PM

You really, really don't want to know...:)[/QUOTE]

Oh YES I do! Tell, tell!

poodleclipz
03-17-14, 08:05 AM
O.K. I admit it, I have put a couple of poodles in English Saddle clips, Town and Countries, Royal Dutches', etc. over my career. I also still own a copy of the Stone book and the "How to Clip a Poodle book" although I never did try the Hillbilly clip.

Foxgirl
03-17-14, 02:26 PM
I still have mine but my beyond-a-doubt favorite Poodle grooming book has to be a little paperback thing, "How To Clip A Poodle", written by Dana Miller, no date but it is one of those things that sold for $1 in pet shops in the '60s. Besides the usual pet clips it also has the Shawl clip, the Monkey clip, as well as the Cowboy, Swiss, Sailor Boy and Hillbilly clips.

You really, really don't want to know...:)

I had to get this book for my amusement.... Now I think I may have to get me a poodle or two for more amusement. (I'm not sure how my dog survived me and I have a feeling if I get poodles they will surely try to escape me)