PDA

View Full Version : New Groomer in Ohio

lacrikit1
04-23-07, 11:09 AM
Hello, My name is Annette,
I did all my grooming lessons on line through PennFoster.edu. It's a really good program. The only thing about on line schooling is you don't get the on hands training I think everyone should have before making a career out of it. I love to groom animals. I have 2 t-cup Chi's, 2 Shih-tzu's and 2 Corgi's. This is why I wanted to become a groomer, well that and the love for animals in general. I am now in the same college to become a Veterinary Assistant. I just started my classes. I am also going to go to my veterinarian and ask if I can do some hands on. We will see. I do have a few customers of my own and just work out of my home. Right now it is taking me to long to groom a dog, but I guess quickness will come in time. I just groomed one of my customers dogs today, a shihtzu named George. It took me 2 hrs to groom him, but he is a fighter. He was matted to bad to try to save the hair. His nails were so long that I could only take a little tiny bit off. I told her to bring George back to me every week until we get the nails down to where they belong. George does not like to have his feet, face touched at all. I have to fight him all the way. Well the woman that has him told me today that she took him to another groomers before and it only took her an hour to do 2 dogs. I don't see how that is possible. It takes almost that long to bathe and dry let alone clip the way she wanted. Do you think she was getting impatient. I'm not sure how to take that. I told her that I just started grooming and I can't groom a dog in a hr. How long does it normally take to groom a dog? She liked the cut I gave him and was very satisfied. So I guess everything turned out ok. I missed breakfast so I am going to go and eat something before my backbone touches my front ribs. Glad to meet everyone and good luck to you all.

groomerdude23
04-23-07, 04:10 PM
I have been grooming now for around a year and graduated from Florida Intstitute of Animal arts. I will say that hands on is definitely the way to go in this carrer, I really dont see any other way of learning this job completely without getting hands on training and learning from someone who has extensive expierience in the field. After a year now I've gotten my time down considerably but it does take time. You learn where you can cut time out just by doing it. For instance I groom around 7-8 full grooms a day so i figure it takes about 1hr to 1 hr 15 minutes per dog. I was told in school to gauge it about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes per dog so i figure im doing good. Granted it does depend on the dog but just give it time and find someone you can learn the tricks of the trade from. I do everything from bath to groom on my dogs so im sure if i had a bather I could do much more. Good luck and I hope everything works out

lacrikit1
04-24-07, 05:51 AM
I am sure in time I will get quicker at this. I also do the bathing myself. I think a lot of my problem was, she stayed and it made me feel like I had to rush. I don't like to rush. We had conversation all the way through the grooming, so that slowed things down considerably. I don't know how to tell her to please come back and get him in about an hr. and a 1/2. I don't want to be rude to her. By the way this was the first time I got to meet her. Her son usually brings George over.. Any suggestions? Thanks again Annette

Gracy Rose
04-25-07, 03:57 PM
Welcome!!

I have a Corgi as well:-) The greatest personality.

I agree that hands-on is imperative!

Peaster
04-25-07, 04:22 PM
welcome. Keep on coming back and you will get lots of good information to help you out

lacrikit1
05-01-07, 06:40 AM
I just want to thank everyone for the advise. I will keep coming back. I love this site and it has a lot of information. Lets keep up the good work. Annette