PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding Nail Question

Jenneversage64
04-06-10, 06:10 PM
Today I groomed a dog I met at Lowes yesterday. She was in the cart at the store. A little Shih Tzu who oddly had recovered a yr from the same AIHA my dog now has. So I fit her in for a groom today to talk further with this lady. She freaked when her dogs' dew claw was bleeding when I brought her back and she began to lick it. She said dogs can bleed to death and once her other dog wouldn't stop and it scared her, and blood makes her so queezy as to maybe faint. She also said if her dog had died ( the current one from AIHA) she was considering suicide and really means it!

I doubt a dog that has normal clotting would bleed to death. I assured her there are thousands of grooming shops in US all trimming nails and many bleed; therefore dogs would be dieing all over the US and elsewhere by the thousands if that were true. She did like the #5 reverse better than her former groomer who has no generator power and often tripped the circuit in her park model winter home. This woman is very nice, but overly protective and freaks easily, obviously.

Have you ever heard a dog can bleed to death from a quicked nail? The coat was trimmed 7f not reveerse not too long ago, but it was obvious the former groomer did NOT trim the nails. Bet I can figure why, but she should have anyway. BTW her dog was much sicker with a much lower red cell count and even had to stop Atopica due to diarrhea and still survived the 50/50 odds in her case. The doctor is in Utah. It can come back and she fears that as well.

blue
04-06-10, 07:56 PM
She freaked when her dogs' dew claw was bleeding when I brought her back and she began to lick it.

Tell that lady to stop licking her dog's dew claw. At least try some styptic first.

keyray
04-06-10, 08:08 PM
The nails are pretty far from the heart. If the dog is in normal health, it will not bleed to death. If you quicked a nail and didn't do anything it would clot pretty fast. But a tiny bit of blood looks like gallons, if you are nervous doggie mom.

SiberianLover
04-06-10, 08:13 PM
Tell that lady to stop licking her dog's dew claw. At least try some styptic first.

HAHAHA!!!

Thanks, I had a good laugh at that one!!!

nuk
04-06-10, 08:29 PM

lol!

I know birds can bleed to death from it. Maybe a little teacup if you cut it way up. I've seen a puddle and I mean a PUDDLE of blood from a westies nails someone quicked and just put in a kennel w/o realizing it. I think she got at least 2 or 3 on each back foot and it was easily a cup or 2 worth of blood in there. I doubt one little dew claw would do it, just be thankful you didn't get a dry cleaning bill or worse a car detailing one!

borzoimom
04-06-10, 09:28 PM
The first vet I worked for would trim nails on all boarding dogs as soon as they came in. Anytime he quicked a nail, he wouldn't use any styptic, he would just say, "that nail's a long way from the heart" and let it stop on its own. No, a dog with normal clotting ability will not bleed to death from a quicked nail.

Jenneversage64
04-06-10, 10:42 PM
ok, I was in a hurry and wrote a poorly constructed, but Funny sentence. It always amazes me how people LOVE their dogs yet let them have dirty ears and poopy butts, as this one had that along with very long quick to the ends nails. As for the blood she used to sell some cleaning stuff and wiped it up off the carpet along with a lot of dirt on the carpet. As overprotective as the owner is, the dog was very good to groom, a little wiggly for feet and nails but not a bad girl at all. They go back to Utah in a few days til next cold season. So I nicked the dogs nails in the "nick" of time. LOL I have to say, it bugs me that I get the nicked problem because the other groomer neglected to keep up with trimming them. The dog did look scarey with blood on her beard and foot, so I took her back and washed it off and redried it and gave her some Quikstop. We sat and talked and it didn't start up again. I was thinking the blood had ALLLL the red blood cells in it it needed and my dogs' doesn't yet. I find myself looking at each dog thinking this. Not bitter, just thinking about it. Hoping hers will recover soon. I also groomed a poor second hand smoke Yorkie that is a victim of a chain smoker with yucky waxy skin. I wonder what the lungs look like and how the dog survives it all. If I were that dog, I'd be out that dog door dusk til dawn for fresh air. Bllllllaaaaaa

I will email her and tell her AGAIN that her dog will not die from a nail bleeding, nor is it likely that another dog would. The dog is a Shih Tzu about 16 lbs.

Smart-n-Pretty
04-06-10, 11:23 PM

LMBO!!! I had a dog owner ask me that last month. I told him if that was the case groomers would not be allowed to legally trim toenails because it would become a veterinary procedure. Now BIRDS, OTOH...

Jenneversage64
04-06-10, 11:39 PM
LMBO!!! I had a dog owner ask me that last month. I told him if that was the case groomers would not be allowed to legally trim toenails because it would become a veterinary procedure. Now BIRDS, OTOH...

It would indeed BE a vet procedure. I will say that in the future.

Helly
04-07-10, 07:34 AM
[QUOTE=nuk;404516]lol!

I know birds can bleed to death from it. QUOTE]

Yeah but the average bird has what, a tablespoon of blood in their whole body. Unless we're talking about the big macaws or 'toos, but even they don't have a lot. When you don't have much blood, any blood loss is a major bleed.

With dogs, in the rare case you're dealing with a dog that has a clotting disorder like von Willebrand's, yes they could bleed out over something like a quicked nail. But most people who have such dogs already know there's a potential problem and have the nails done at a vets, where there's help available in an emergency.

Parapara
04-24-10, 11:26 PM
That's pretty crazy, I agree as long as the dog doesn't have any issues, they should be okay for getting a nail quicked.

The lady would commit suicide if her dog died? What's she gonna do in a few years... dogs don't like that long.

DogChic
04-25-10, 08:36 AM
I learned @ pet tech first aid course this past weekend at Intergroom that there is a pressure point on the back of the paw - just behind the large pad. holding this for about 1 minute can help to slow/stop bleeding of a quicked nail.