PDA

View Full Version : Schnauzer Bumps Process......

cajuntank
03-29-10, 06:40 AM
I have researched on here about schnauzer bumps and know that I need to find a benzol peroxide shampoo. My question is, after you use the shampoo, can you then use a conditioner or will that mess up the meds in the shampoo?

Jenneversage64
03-29-10, 10:13 AM
But I find a sugar scrub mixed in the shampoo really gets rid of the little black crud things and makes the skin soft and smooth. It is such an easy step and makes a big difference.

kputman
03-29-10, 11:32 AM
Are you carding the coat? Many times schnauzer bumps are exacerbated (or even caused) by bits of dead hair that fall back into the hair follicle when the coat is clipped, especially when it is clipped closer than a 7 blade. Card the coat before you clip it and you may find that you don't need a follicular flushing shampoo like benzoyl peroxide. If you do need to use it, then you wouldn't want much more than a very light, very diluted conditioner

neanea
03-29-10, 01:11 PM
Card first before bathing and/or clipping AND use a brown sugar SCRUB (I use a true scrub to gently exfoliate), then use a damp warm towel and let sit for 5 minutes. The scrubs I use have a oil base and it acts as sort of a hot oil treatment. I have had GREAT success using this method.

D'tails
03-29-10, 03:30 PM
Ditto on the sugar scrub.

Personally I wouldnt use any conditioners on a dog with issues since it has the potential to leave a residue on the skin and coat.

keyray
03-29-10, 08:40 PM
I use Pyoben Shampoo in my recirculator for 10 minutes. It REALLY helps to exfoliate the skin. I also use a light conditioner. Benzoyl Peroxide is so drying to both the hair and skin. I also card the back like kputman says. On the dogs that have it really bad I try to leave the hair longer on the back. It haven't "cured" any dogs but it does keep the condition manageable.

I had a Schnauzer come back to me after several months. A few of the bumps had really become infected. I was shocked at how bad they were. The owner told me that any time they took the dog somewhere else he got like that, so it is helping.

cajuntank
03-29-10, 10:10 PM
Thanks all! I have been carding but it doesn't seem to be helping by itself. I will try the med shampoo and sugar scrub. The owners like them clipped very very short. I did talk to her and told her we need to try a longer clip to see if that helps and she said okay.

SCGroomer
03-30-10, 02:32 PM
I card and use a 7f not backwards and then card again. The ten on the schnauzer back is just to short for some of there skin. If you card after trimming with a 7 on the back it's short enough for a pet trim.

gr8danlvr1
03-30-10, 05:19 PM
Are you carding the coat? Many times schnauzer bumps are exacerbated (or even caused) by bits of dead hair that fall back into the hair follicle when the coat is clipped, especially when it is clipped closer than a 7 blade. Card the coat before you clip it and you may find that you don't need a follicular flushing shampoo like benzoyl peroxide. If you do need to use it, then you wouldn't want much more than a very light, very diluted conditioner

Ditto for this. I started hand stripping a mini schnauzer last year for a fellow groomer. She was only 6 months old at the time, but up until then she had schnauzer bumps that were getting worse as time went on. Since I started stripping her, the bumps went away and haven't come back. Now, I wouldn't recommend a full strip job, but carding the coat WILL make a huge difference. I like to put ear powder all over the jacket and use my undercoat rake. Of course I prefer to rake prebath. The ones I use are cheapy versions of these:

http://www.groomersmall.com/coat_kings.htm

For a schnauzer that isn't stripped I'd use fine or extra fine as their coat tends to be pretty thin w/o the wire texture.