PDA

View Full Version : Poodle coat vs sticker burs *ack*

LonestarPoodle
10-24-09, 07:01 AM
The problem.. we have those sticker burs all over my yard now (during the summer, I rarely saw any!) so everytime I would let my girl outside, she would come back inside covered in those little burs and often times, up under her pads causing her to limp. I'd have to spend forever it seemed to pluck those little things out with hemostats. I learned my lesson after I got bloody fingers trying to pull them out with my hands. Combing her coat didn't help to get them out either.

Yesterday she decided she wanted to roll around in the grass *sigh* and OMG those little burs were everywhere in her coat. I normally keep her in a typical kennel clip so its easy to maintain since I do all my own grooming. Well there were so many burs and they were hurting her and I couldn't get them out so I said to heck with it and took a 4F blade and just shaved her down leaving only topknot and ears. My standard looks horrible now. *cry* I'm so ashamed at how she looks, I won't even post pictures! LOL I had to go buy a sweater at a pet store to help cover up her nekkidness until her coat grows back. =X

My question is... for future knowledge.. is there some easy way I don't know about (other than to wrap her in seran wrap which I might actually do in the future lol) to keep those damn burs from getting all mushed in and stuck in her coat? Or a good brush or comb that would help get them out?

Fast Ellie
10-24-09, 08:30 AM
Cut the tree down. :)

Poodleluv
10-24-09, 09:56 AM
wait till stickers,or burrs are dry. Crush the sticker with needle nose,or hemos.being careful not to pinch skin. spray sticker with a spritz of Pam.Brush,comes out like magic. Minimal coat loss. This was in a poodle reveiw from eons ago,and it works very well. I would cut the tree down,if possible too.

odette
10-24-09, 01:27 PM
guys, stirckers don't grow on trees! have the yard sprated woth preemergent now,pull what it doesn't kill in the spring. dilute condioner spray the dog and tease the nasty little buggers out. you could just pave the yard,lol

Tat2DGroomer
10-24-09, 01:55 PM
Having a standard poodle that thinks he is a pig, we discovered that when he got the icky stickie burrs/hitchikers/beggar lice that The Stuff would get them out! We sprayed it on and combed and out they would slide :)

LonestarPoodle
10-24-09, 02:04 PM
Thanks! I really don't want to keep Daphne shaved nekkid all the time and those damn burs all over the yard in the grass (front yard and back). So all I really need is some conditioner stuff in the coat. Why I didn't think of that..DUH! LOL

I'm definitely going to have to get something soon. Tomorrow I'm meeting a lady about another standard poodle who supposedly has a very thick curly coat, and the last thing I want is 2 nekkid poodles running around. LOL

sittingpretty
10-24-09, 06:02 PM
The Stuff or Liquid Slikr do help pull those little stickers out of the coat. We get them all summer long. Our best efforts are to kepp the grass mowed very frequently. I know your pretty girl is still pretty, don't worry. It is just part of trying to keep them "in coat".

Just be greatful you aren't trying to maintain cords!!! I have spent over 3 hrs. pulling those things out...You can only use your fingers. No combing the cords!

sittingpretty

Helly
11-16-09, 11:58 AM
guys, stirckers don't grow on trees!

Ummmm, do you not have sweet gum trees where you live? We have 'em, and the "gum balls" are everywhere. They're just oversized sticker burrs. I rake 'em up and use 'em to mulch my flower beds. They keep the snails and slugs out, LOL.

PoodlePal
11-17-09, 10:07 PM
I don't have any trouble getting the burrs out of my poodles' coats. Once you have bathed them (and gotten the burrs softened), a lot of them will blow out with the HV dryer and the rest you can get out with the Universal slicker brush.

LonestarPoodle
11-18-09, 10:54 AM
I don't have any trouble getting the burrs out of my poodles' coats. Once you have bathed them (and gotten the burrs softened), a lot of them will blow out with the HV dryer and the rest you can get out with the Universal slicker brush.

hehe well...I'm not a groomer and don't have all the cool gadets yall do. :( The only dryer I have is my own personal hair dryer and a small bathtub that my new poodle boy can't even fit in. LOL Which reminds me... he needs groomed soon. Getting pretty hairy on his face and feet! I'm still deciding if I want to do it myself (how I would bathe him I have no idea lol) or find a groomer for him.