PDA

View Full Version : IPG Update/Announcement

Stephen
10-09-08, 08:26 AM
To all Members and Associations of International Professional Groomers, INC:

As all of you know Judy Kurpiel has been very sick. Unfortunately things have fallen behind. I, Hayley Keyes and Linda Easton took a trip to Judy's last weekend, from there we have brought all records back home with us.

Both of us feel that the club needs a "Refreshed Spa Treatment". So we are asking for all your help. We need up-dated records from all of you. We also need you to pass the word around.

Until we can change the web site, which will start at the end of the month, we asking you not to use the old e-mail address of that site. Instead please send all phone calls, info, etc to either:

Hayley Keyes- Vice President
Hayley@nanhall.com
336-340-7915
123 Manley Ave
Greensboro, NC 27407

Or

Linda Easton -Treasurer /Secretary
K9Concepts@aol.com
503-551-2397
6475 Wallace Rd NW
Salem, OR 97304

By November we should have a new e-mail address and phone number for IPG.
We will list these things on the web site as well as e-mail all of you. Be sure and look for the new and up-coming features that the web site will have.

Should any of you have questions please contact us. The numbers that are listed are our cell phones, so leave a message and we will call you.

Also if any you want to contact Judy- do call her. The e-mail addresses that were used for IPG and her are not working correctly, so phone call to her personally will make her feel wonderful.

Thanks so much~
Hayley Keyes

Nanhall Pet Spa
www.nanhall.com
336-852-9867

Moonpiepoodlz
10-09-08, 08:36 AM
Glad to hear things are getting back on track. I can't wait to see the updated website and such!!

canadiankathy
10-10-08, 05:13 PM
Some major changes were made to the mastergroomer testing process in a vote at Hershey. Can we talk about this please.....

Moonpiepoodlz
10-10-08, 07:08 PM
Some major changes were made to the mastergroomer testing process in a vote at Hershey. Can we talk about this please.....

I've already taken my masters but what changes are taking place? ? ? ?

crtgroomer
10-10-08, 08:01 PM
All I'm lacking are my terrier practicals...because I do not have access to any competition quality terriers. I hope this isn't going to make it even harder to get this finished!!!

scullysmom
10-11-08, 06:56 AM
Please please I want to know

canadiankathy
10-11-08, 02:40 PM
apparently all your marks have to be 86+ on all your written and pratical scores to obtain your master groomer title. This is according to 1988 rules which have not been enforced in several years. Those who already have their designation , lucky you. So for some of us mere mortals who struggle along in the mid-to high seventies it means re-testing. I think IPG should honour past tests under the handbook rules given out by themselves. I am fighting for myself but as they say in the funny papers , speak now or forever hold your peace. I can't afford to be forever re-testing everytime they hold a vote. What next 90+.
I am so mad I could bite someone. Now I know how our furry friends feel when they get their ears plucked.

Moonpiepoodlz
10-11-08, 05:58 PM
So for some of us mere mortals who struggle along in the mid-to high seventies it means re-testing. I think IPG should honour past tests under the handbook rules given out by themselves. I am fighting for myself but as they say in the funny papers, speak now or forever hold your peace. .

THANK GOD I'm done! I was high 70's on ALL of my tests except for the poodle technical where I got an 85 so even then I would have had to re-test!!
I think IPG should honor prior test scores for those of who you have started--that really SUCKS!
I think I need to send out an email or two forewarning those who have started and I think I'll also double check with our local rep. just to make sure so I don't freak those still testing out.

Thank you for the update kathy!

darbygoo
10-11-08, 07:39 PM
I am glad I finished awhile ago. I know when I took my Masters, I had tried a few times before and the were missing the answer key because it had gone to Vegas with someone and wasn't back yet. Judi was just becoming ill when I took my last test. I hope she is feeling better. I saw her at AA, and I know it took a lot out of her to be at the show. I am glad she is getting help with IPG.
Thank You Kathy

canadiankathy
10-12-08, 05:10 AM
Thanks so much for your support. I was wondering if I am such a horrible groomer I might have to give up on attaining a master groomer designation all together.

I'm really disappointed in IPG, I put a lot of effort into hosting certifying events in our area and trying to get enough people to attend. Groomers are so intimidated by the whole process , this certainly will not ease them into it.

Graco22
10-12-08, 09:41 PM
I see this change as a good thing. 86% is a B to a B+. If the association is going to MEAN something, and Certified Master Groomer is going to MEAN something, then the scores should have to be up there. Otherwise, anyone and everyone would be certified. I do think they should honor the previous testings, just because what is done is done...but I think raising the standards is good for the profession. Then all that work actually means something. That is one of the reasons I haven't started to certify yet. It seems anyone and everyone is "certified" now, and the grooming doesn't always show it. :( A "master" grooming title should not be gotten by recieving what is essentially a "C" grade at best..Just my opinion.

Poodleluv
10-13-08, 12:40 AM
As of when did this 86% start? We just had IPG cert. at our local groomfest,and I wanted to do my next test but couldn't find suitable dog,at last minute. I got below 86% on my poodle years ago. I was terribly nervous and spent the the first hour of test fighting panic attacks. I still passed high 70's and could definetly get that 86 now,I hope! But these tests are expensive! and it is no fair changing rules in mid stream. They are making a terrible mistake that is going to cost them a lot of members if they make us retest,before we can go on toward's master's ,and not retest the groomer's who already have Master's with some scores below 86%. I hope they rethink this, as I will not redo my poodle,and sart all over,when no-one else has to who got in under the new wire!

canadiankathy
10-13-08, 04:57 AM
I agree that it should mean something and if you knew how hard we had to work in our area to get enough groomers together to even have a certification day.....

I have problems with a changing of the rules mid-game. If we had had our certification in August, we would have CMG's a month later they are not good enough so now we don't. What is that all about?We have groomers that are one test away from their mastergroomer exam. And they are excellent groomers by the way, not everyone performs well under pressure and we are not all made out to compete. So if you did your CMG last year under the old rules are you a poorer groomer than this year. I suspect not. Just the process makes you a better groomer. The number of groomers that attend seminars and are interested in learning is measured at 1% according to Intergroom.

Anyway I'm done with this issue. This is not good business practice. There are such terms as "grandfather clause" that should be put into place. I can only hope IPG will improve their way of doing business. It is supposed to be a group of your peers, I'm not feeling the love.

k.

Moonpiepoodlz
10-13-08, 08:40 AM
I see this change as a good thing. 86% is a B to a B+. If the association is going to MEAN something, and Certified Master Groomer is going to MEAN something, then the scores should have to be up there. Otherwise, anyone and everyone would be certified. I do think they should honor the previous testings, just because what is done is done...but I think raising the standards is good for the profession. Then all that work actually means something. That is one of the reasons I haven't started to certify yet. It seems anyone and everyone is "certified" now, and the grooming doesn't always show it. :( A "master" grooming title should not be gotten by recieving what is essentially a "C" grade at best..Just my opinion.

I understand what you're saying, but unless you've been through the testing process you have no idea how nerve wracking it can be and I don't think it's fair to make those who have already started testing to start over. I say let those who started finish and set a date for new "testers" to have the 86+ to pass. Why punish those who have already started for their masters. I'd be pretty p.o'd if I had to start all over if I had just my masters left.
Getting my CMG was one of the few special moments in my lifetime--just below having my girls.
'Nuff said.

Graco22
10-13-08, 04:59 PM
it is to take the tests, and to go thru that process. I compete in the grooming ring, and have for a few year..My last show I was in Open division for the first time...It doesn't get more nerveracking than that in my opinion. ;) I know the hard work, the time spent, the feeling of someone going over your dog and nitpicking every piece of it. I know how it feels. I do agree, that all tests ALREADY completed should be grandfathered in. It is not fair to make those people retest. However, any tests not yet taken, should be by the new rules I think. I think the new rules are definitly a positive thing for the industry. This may not be a politically correct thing to say, but from what I have heard about all the associations, IPG has always been considered the "easiest" to certify with(and by this, I mean NO disrespect to anyone in the association, or that has certified, I know the work involved) and I, for one, and happy to see that changing. If someone knows of the pass/fail requirements of ISCC, NDGAA or any others, could they post them so we can compare to what IPG is doing? Again, I understand why those that have started, or already done certifying would be concerned, but I think we need to take a step back, and see that this is for the betterment of everyone. Those of you already certified want to know that it means something right? Does scraping by on a practical mean you should be held in the highly regarded "certified master groomer?" Flame suit on.

Moonpiepoodlz
10-13-08, 05:43 PM
Those of you already certified want to know that it means something right? Does scraping by on a practical mean you should be held in the highly regarded "certified master groomer?" Flame suit on.

I apologize for jumping to conclusions--with competing you win the "contest" for nerve wracking.

Again, I do see your point; especially since some of these people getting their CMG have been grooming less than a year and don't care about continuing their education.

I think they need to set a date for those starting the process in order to pass the testing, grandfather in those who are in the process, and I know it's unrealistic but only allow those grooming more than 1 or 2 years to take the tests.

Graco22
10-13-08, 07:22 PM
I apologize for jumping to conclusions--with competing you win the "contest" for nerve wracking.

Again, I do see your point; especially since some of these people getting their CMG have been grooming less than a year and don't care about continuing their education.

I think they need to set a date for those starting the process in order to pass the testing, grandfather in those who are in the process, and I know it's unrealistic but only allow those grooming more than 1 or 2 years to take the tests.

I agree that some kind of grandfathering will need to take place, and I am sure that the people in charge will do what is right and necessary to get IPG to the level it needs to be, and take care of their members at the same time. I agree with giving the people that are actively taking exams and practicals a certain amount of time to finish under the "old" standards..6 months, maybe a year? I dont' know if I agree with only allowing those grooming for 2 or more years, etc. to test. If they can pass, then great..but its likely they won't, with the higher standards, and hopefully that will make them work harder and learn more to become the best they can be. Again, I know the efforts, time, money, etc. that is involved in the process of being certified, and I can understand upset reactions to the changes. But I do believe it is for the best, and will only better each and every one of us that goes thru the testing.

Moonpiepoodlz
10-13-08, 08:02 PM
My ideal number of years grooming before being able to pass the test. 5 minimum but if they do stick to their guns and raise the passing grades, it'll knock alot of the early groomers to test out of the game for a while.

Poodleluv
10-13-08, 08:37 PM
I agree that it should mean something and if you knew how hard we had to work in our area to get enough groomers together to even have a certification day.....

I have problems with a changing of the rules mid-game. If we had had our certification in August, we would have CMG's a month later they are not good enough so now we don't. What is that all about?We have groomers that are one test away from their mastergroomer exam. And they are excellent groomers by the way, not everyone performs well under pressure and we are not all made out to compete. So if you did your CMG last year under the old rules are you a poorer groomer than this year. I suspect not. Just the process makes you a better groomer. The number of groomers that attend seminars and are interested in learning is measured at 1% according to Intergroom.

Anyway I'm done with this issue. This is not good business practice. There are such terms as "grandfather clause" that should be put into place. I can only hope IPG will improve their way of doing business. It is supposed to be a group of your peers, I'm not feeling the love.

k.

We just had I.P.G. tests done at ou groomfest last week. Would anyone like me to ge tahold of the testers,and find out what standard they were using? 70"s or 86? Like Canadian K. said it takes a lot of effort just to get a testing day put together, and I still have 3 dogs ,4 writtens to go for Master's. I;m holding to my ground ,and refuse to do my poodle again,when there are lots odf other CMG whosqueeked through with lower scores.People who are 1 dog away and just below 86 on some tests must be very angry! I for one will not be continuing on if they make me start from scratch again,it costs a lot of money and time to travel to gert these tests done,and this is not fair!

keyray
10-13-08, 08:44 PM

Hey don't discriminate against us new people. Not that I have the skill to pass at this point, but if someone does have the skill then they should be allowed. I am working on my certification through ISCC. It might take awhile, but I figure it's all part of my education.

Graco22
10-14-08, 02:51 PM
I understand the frustration with the groomers in the process, and the possibility that they may have to retest. I haven't seen anything posted yet from IPG explaining how they are going to be handling things. Have you emailed Hayley Keyes direct, and asked what their plans are, or if they have them yet? I wouldn't get too upset right now. Give them time to work it out, but let your feelings be known to them now.

nanhall
11-02-08, 09:00 AM
Hi to all Members of IPG-
I realize all of you have concerns and we do understand them. Please understand that Linda Easton and I, Hayley Keyes are working on all these problems and issues. With your help and in-put we will work all of this out.
In the mean-time, if all of you would be so nice as to e-mail me and give up-dated e-mail addresses, mailing addresses, phone numbers, shop names and pictures of dogs that are groomed, wins at grooming or dog shows, it will help our process. Go look at the new web site- www.ipgcmg.org
With the question on how we are handling things-- as fast as we can- day by day!
With the questions of 86% - We feel that becoming a CMG should be an honor, with someone that understands the grooming process as well as what it takes. We all freeze on tests, know that time is money and that it is hard to find dogs, etc- but would you not want to send your client to someone that you know has made high marks- rather then to someone that just passed. All members that have received CMG status are grandfather in. To all that are working on it- 3 things you can do-
1. Finish testing by the end of the year.
2. re-take a test at half price
3. write a letter to the board explaining your situation.
WE are working on having Certifiers at a lot of shows. Already we have New England Show this weekend, Nov. 15-17, 2008 SuperGroom Summit in Kentucky, Feb Groom Expo in Burbank Ca and in Sept in Hershey PA. We will be at Atlanta Pet Fair in March.
If there is an area that you would like us to go to certify- Let me know.
In the month that Linda and I have worked on this a lot has been done-- Keep in mind that we both have businesses to run and lifes to take care of. Again your help and in-put to us is needed.
Please contact us personally at: hayley.keyes@ipgcmg.org or linda.easton@ipgcmg.org
Hayley Keyes

Moonpiepoodlz
11-02-08, 12:39 PM
keyray, I didn't mean to discriminate against anybody; sorry if it came across that way. Compared to ISCC, IPG would be a piece of cake in my book. The testing on hand stripping alone is enough to keep my away from going for it!!

Hey don't discriminate against us new people. Not that I have the skill to pass at this point, but if someone does have the skill then they should be allowed. I am working on my certification through ISCC. It might take awhile, but I figure it's all part of my education.

Arrooh
11-02-08, 08:29 PM
I'll toss out my hope for masters. Geez. Test by the end of the year?????? Ah, it's November??? I think a Masters should be just real good at it all. But some or many of us don't do tests well at all. I think at the very least all tests called passed should remain passed, just like those who are Masters will still be called Masters. If you want the not done tests to be the higher standard so be it, but you may have a lot of drop outs. Not only is this totally Voluntary, but one of the certification processes may end up part of licensing. Do you think they'd choose one that the average very good groomer might not pass?

Moonpiepoodlz
11-02-08, 08:57 PM
WE are working on having Certifiers at a lot of shows. Already we have New England Show this weekend, Nov. 15-17, 2008 SuperGroom Summit in Kentucky, Feb Groom Expo in Burbank Ca and in Sept in Hershey PA. We will be at Atlanta Pet Fair in March.
Hayley Keyes

It's nice to see that you guys will be at more shows than what I've seen!

Graco22
11-03-08, 12:12 PM
I'll toss out my hope for masters. Geez. Test by the end of the year?????? Ah, it's November??? I think a Masters should be just real good at it all. But some or many of us don't do tests well at all. I think at the very least all tests called passed should remain passed, just like those who are Masters will still be called Masters. If you want the not done tests to be the higher standard so be it, but you may have a lot of drop outs. Not only is this totally Voluntary, but one of the certification processes may end up part of licensing. Do you think they'd choose one that the average very good groomer might not pass?

I understand that many people "don't test well". But try to think of it like this..If a person wants to be a Dr. but is a person that "doesn't test well" should the pass/fail for them be relaxed? Of course not. We as groomers and adults just have to suck it up and not let our emotions and nerves get the best of us when testing. Its just a test...we have all taken tests in our lives. I don't think, (and I hope) that IPG isn't worried about liscensing and being the easiest association to pass with. They are the ONLY non profit certifying association. I am all for higher standards, and when I am ready to start certifying, I want it to mean something, and not just be certified for the sake of saying I am certified. Thank you Haley, and Linda (and everyone else in IPG) for helping this association, and for making the changes to necessary to make us all strive for a higher standard.

Moonpiepoodlz
11-03-08, 02:18 PM

What I meant by this is let the groomers get some more experience under their belt so they'll be more confident in their skills.

Karasmova
11-03-08, 03:52 PM
I just got certified this weekend at the NEPGP. I had finished all my practicals and was planning to do my writtens at Intergroom. Then I was told about the changes. That would mean I would have to find a new poodle and redo it because I only got an 82. Not that easy to find a dog 1) with good enough and long enough coat to borrow and 2) have the owners let you take their beloved pet for a few days. I then found out they'd be in RI this weekend. So I decided to review my standards for Terriers and Non-sporting and take 2 of the written tests. When I went to take the tests, they told me if I finished by the end of the year, I wouldn't have to redo the poodle so I took the remaining tests. Thank God that is done and over with!

Moonpiepoodlz
11-03-08, 04:32 PM
I just got certified this weekend at the NEPGP.

Congratulations!

J.K. Lee
11-04-08, 05:46 PM
I have been reading over this thread and I have to say I am astounded and dismayed.

No, not at IPG, not in the least. I applaud IPG for raising the bar and giving merit to the title of CMG. It shouldn't be a walk in the park and people that are here confessing they just 'squeaked by' and got a '76'.. well here's a news flash for you.. that's a mediocre grade. CMG stands for Certified MASTER Groomer, not a Certified Mediocre Groomer.

So for some of us mere mortals who struggle along in the mid-to high seventies it means re-testing. I think IPG should honour past tests under the handbook rules given out by themselves. I am fighting for myself but as they say in the funny papers , speak now or forever hold your peace. I can't afford to be forever re-testing everytime they hold a vote. What next 90+.
I am so mad I could bite someone. Now I know how our furry friends feel when they get their ears plucked.

That quote right there made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Fighting for yourself? How about re-directing your thoughts to fighting for industry excellence? How about fighting to improve the standards of grooming, how about fighting for standing proudly among your peers and being acknowledged for your achievements above and beyond the 'mediocre'?

Seriously, lets be honest here. Mere mortals? It is mere mortals that have obtained their CMG with excellent grades, it is mere mortals that put in the time and effort to achieve a title and that title should be worth more than just the paper it is written on.

Why should anyone invest of themselves, learn, improve, .. when others can come 'squeak by'?

Look at it this way about your past tests. You're only mad because you don't get to apply it to the Master Groomers title. Well you didn't perform to Master Groomer standards. You can still have your group certification, but until you've taken the Master Groomers Test, you haven't lost that title or the chance to obtain it, but you do still have to get your grooming up to par.. period.

I think they are being lenient in giving a grace period, and any grandfathering should be under a tight schedule. If I were them I wouldn't want to pave the way for more 'mediocre groomers' to run about with the CMG title. Besides, say you have someone that's already tested in everything and not passed the Masters Test.. so they should sit back a couple years, then go take a written test, that will grant them the CMG title when in truth they haven't learned anything more, and their grooming and/or education is still not of the desired quality when now everyone else is actually having to invest themselves and really give it a tremendous effort to achieve that same title? I'd be furious if I were one of those that did give it the time and the effort to excel and have some slip shod groomer sail past and think they stood shoulder to shoulder to me. It would diminish everything I have done and the value of the title i worked so hard to acquire.

If the people here complaining truly cared more about what the title is supposed to mean, than just 'having' the title, then they'd be encouraging this and looking forward to learning and meeting the new level and then KNOWING they deserve the title that they carry.

So why not quit looking at this as they are taking something away from you, because what you think they are taking away from you.. in truth, you haven't yet earned to begin with. This is a positive change and I support it 120%

scullysmom
11-04-08, 06:08 PM
I will tell you what, IPG is the only national association who has answered questions I have with out seeing money first. That says a lot!

Graco22
11-04-08, 07:42 PM
J.K. Lee, what a wonderful, well said post. I agree completely!

keyray
11-04-08, 09:25 PM
J.K. Lee, what a wonderful, well said post. I agree completely!

Personally I'm suspicious of someone that joins this board long enough to flame someone else.

Depending on how many questions there are in a test, 76 is not just squeaking by. A passing grade is a passing grade. There is nothing mediocre about pursuing masters certification with any of the organizations. Once I get my Bachelors of Science who really cares if I did it with all A's or C's or a combination?!

Canadiankathy has put forth the effort to take tests and she has a right to want the organization to abide by the original terms she began under. The college I attend changes their requirements for graduation all the time but I have the terms that I originally enrolled under.

I also think it just downright rude to imply that someone who is getting 76 and admits to being a mere mortal doesn't care any more about the certification then the paper it is printed on. Obviously the person cares because they are going through the effort to obtain certification.

bubblesaway
11-05-08, 04:21 AM
No, not at IPG, not in the least. I applaud IPG for raising the bar and giving merit to the title of CMG. It shouldn't be a walk in the park and people that are here confessing they just 'squeaked by' and got a '76'.. well here's a news flash for you.. that's a mediocre grade. CMG stands for Certified MASTER Groomer, not a Certified Mediocre Groomer.
Ok, I agree and another way to look at is .. When you were in school everybody had to pass to get a dipolma. You only had to get a D or above and you passed the class which intail you could get your dipolma. But to be on the honor role or high honor you had to earn it with higher grades.. A's for High honor role and A's & B's honor role.. Well I feel that getting your Master's you need to be on that honor role... Thats what will seperate you from the rest!

Why should anyone invest of themselves, learn, improve, .. when others can come 'squeak by'?

I have felt this way, I have seen some grooms that passed even with lower scores and it was a disgrace.

I'd be furious if I were one of those that did give it the time and the effort to excel and have some slip shod groomer sail past and think they stood shoulder to shoulder to me. It would diminish everything I have done and the value of the title i worked so hard to acquire.

This is why I stop testing with IPG because of what was passed. I just have my writtens to finish. I work so hard to pass with a high score. So I went to the others to certified with because I knew they were harder and ment more when earn. Now that the bars has been raised I will finish with IPG.

This is totaly for the best!
Those that tested or in the process of with IPG. why did you test with them? Because they are the easiest to test with? You know it and I know they were. I am gald the bars has been raise and will back them on it too.

I also agree with the others that you have to have so many years under your belt to even start testing. Its one thing to read a book an learn and another to do hands on and see it in person....
Flame suit on and fire trucks standing by!

luvpups
11-05-08, 05:09 AM
I have been holding back on posting on this one. I agree with both sides. I am in the middle of doing my testing that I started in August of this year. I have one more practical and all of the writtens to do. I feel that if someone already started the process they should be able to keep the provious scores, if they were passing, under the original rules. After the first of the year they should be held up to the newer requirements with whatever they have left. If they are grandfathering in all the people who passed with lower scores that have already finished, it is only fair they do so with people that already started. I am going to have to scramble now to finish by the end of the year, so that I will not have wasted my money for the dogs I did that I got the lower scores on. I like the idea of having the higher scores to become a master groomer, but a lot of people have this planned out on when they can and will test, and finish. Some have shows they have to attend to get it done, some may have a testing at their place etc.. It is not that easy to do time wise, especially with the holidays fast approaching. If someone has already paid for something that had passed, it is not right to take that back and make them redo it at more of a cost. I dont think that this has anything to do with just squeaking by or mediocrity, holding to a higher standard etc... this was how it was presented when we started and it should be followed in that manner. Like Keyrey said, the colleges change requirements all the time, once you start that its how it is, they don't change it on you midstream. Luckily for me, and I am sure not for others, I can do it locally and probably get it done by the end of the year. I just need to get my dog together, hopefully, and redirect some funds to do it with (not an easy task, by the way!)

J.K. Lee
11-05-08, 08:11 AM
Personally I'm suspicious of someone that joins this board long enough to flame someone else.

I'd be more suspicious of people flaming an organization that is trying to do something to enhance the quality and prestige of the titles earned.

I heard about what was going on here and the things said and yes, I came to see for myself and was appalled.

Depending on how many questions there are in a test, 76 is not just squeaking by. A passing grade is a passing grade. There is nothing mediocre about pursuing masters certification with any of the organizations. Once I get my Bachelors of Science who really cares if I did it with all A's or C's or a combination?!

Well if you are not looking at it by the percentile, of course, simplistically a 76 on a test with 76 questions is going to be excellent, but these exam scores, as most are, are based on just that, a percentile. In other words, it doesn't matter if there are 5 or 500 questions, if your performance is mediocre, so is your score.

As for who cares whether you got your Bachelors with C's or A's.. YOU should, but otherwise, not many, though some do consider the percentile of your class in which you graduated. HOWEVER.. and I am so glad that you used this analogy...

In order to even attempt to get your 'MASTERS DEGREE' there is no college I have ever heard of that will accept your application to continue unless you have maintained a minimum GPA of at least 3.0... that would be a minimum B Average, or oh, somewhere around an 86. Imagine that.

The fact is that the title of 'Masters' means excellence, it is what separates those with drive and initiative and the ability to perform from the rest content to get by, and that think 'oh who cares how well I did, I passed with a C and that's good enough for me'. If that is good enough, then be content with the certifications that you earned, and leave the Masters to those that are not satisfied with being in the median range.

I also think it just downright rude to imply that someone who is getting 76 and admits to being a mere mortal doesn't care any more about the certification then the paper it is printed on. Obviously the person cares because they are going through the effort to obtain certification.

I think it is downright rude to expect an entire organization and all those that work diligently to obtain a title with credibility to cast aside any merit it has to accommodate someone that is not willing to put in the effort to excel.

They are trying to improve the organization, it's standards and credibility. As members I would think you would support this, not poke out lips and pout because you may have to put in a tad more work, or it might take a little longer. This is YOUR career, your livelihood, your badge of achievement and YOUR means of standing out among your peers. Take some pride in that.

I am not here to flame anyone, what I am here to do is make you think, and to put an end to the flaming and pure self centeredness that was already in progress. Sometimes the truth is a bitter pill to swallow, but there seem to be two schools of thought here; those that think 'I just want to get my title and who cares', and those that think 'I want to get my title so it shows I deserve it'.

From my point of view, and I am sure IPG's, I want to know that the others pursuing the same title I am, are giving at least as much effort, and did just as much to earn it.

Thank you to those that are remaining positive. I think we'll all be better for it!

Arrooh
11-05-08, 08:50 AM
is making me sick. I put a lot of money and time to go for certification. I know for a FACT that some wonderful looked up to groomers had trouble with the testing. Many groomers that can groom rings around some big names in the real world can have trouble passing some of their persnickity particulars. It is hard and I said when I passed the Masters written I would NEVER EVER do that again. I think if they want to be a gold standard, okay, but I don't think they'll give me my money back nor the travel expenses back for what I had started with. Changing mid stream is really upsetting. And if they mean passing tests ony till the end of this year, as I said, it's not feasible. It's less then 2 months away with holidays tucked in. I was actually encouraged to take my time. I was stated that there is not hurry, don't try to do it all at once. I sure do agree with Keyray on a lot of that post.

I do agree that to join the board just so you can put others opinions down is not what this board should be about.

Moonpiepoodlz
11-05-08, 09:18 AM
Okay then, here's my thought on the whole issue since it was just last year that I got my CMG. I worked my A** off on getting that certificate. From my point of view, I am by no means a "mediocre" groomer but with working 6 days a week, raising a two teenage daughters, a husband and running a business, it was hard to find the study time--and though I did pass with a "B" average, for as much as I did study and how many years I've been grooming, I was hoping for higher scores. I'm not saying it should be easy to certify with any organization but for alot of us, there isn't enough time in the day to get everything done we need to do including studying for a certification.
Again, I'm not saying we all need to lower our standards I just think that those people in mid testing should be given an exception and start reinforcing the rules on a certain date for new testers.
Why punish those who have already invested their time and money to better themselves.

QUOTE (J.K. Lee):
I heard about what was going on here and the things said and yes, I came to see for myself and was appalled.

to each their own. . .we're all allowed to have our opinions.

Arrooh
11-05-08, 07:19 PM
a good customer who is a long time school teacher today about my upset about this. She assured me it would be totally UNETHICAL to have passed me on tests then take it back and make the tests be retaken.

keyray
11-05-08, 09:14 PM
I think it is downright rude to expect an entire organization and all those that work diligently to obtain a title with credibility to cast aside any merit it has to accommodate someone that is not willing to put in the effort to excel.

So far I've seen members of IPG expressing their opinions on, what seems to be, some major changes. I'm sure IPG expected that. Your original post was attacking individual people. There is a big difference between the two. You are casting them as "someone that is not willing to put in the effort to excel". If that were the case they wouldn't be trying to certify in the first place.

windywaycavaliers
11-05-08, 10:42 PM
I have been holding back on posting on this one. I agree with both sides. I am in the middle of doing my testing that I started in August of this year. I have one more practical and all of the writtens to do. I feel that if someone already started the process they should be able to keep the provious scores, if they were passing, under the original rules. After the first of the year they should be held up to the newer requirements with whatever they have left. If they are grandfathering in all the people who passed with lower scores that have already finished, it is only fair they do so with people that already started. I am going to have to scramble now to finish by the end of the year, so that I will not have wasted my money for the dogs I did that I got the lower scores on. I like the idea of having the higher scores to become a master groomer, but a lot of people have this planned out on when they can and will test, and finish. Some have shows they have to attend to get it done, some may have a testing at their place etc.. It is not that easy to do time wise, especially with the holidays fast approaching. If someone has already paid for something that had passed, it is not right to take that back and make them redo it at more of a cost. I dont think that this has anything to do with just squeaking by or mediocrity, holding to a higher standard etc... this was how it was presented when we started and it should be followed in that manner. Like Keyrey said, the colleges change requirements all the time, once you start that its how it is, they don't change it on you midstream. Luckily for me, and I am sure not for others, I can do it locally and probably get it done by the end of the year. I just need to get my dog together, hopefully, and redirect some funds to do it with (not an easy task, by the way!)

"Okay then, here's my thought on the whole issue since it was just last year that I got my CMG. I worked my A** off on getting that certificate. From my point of view, I am by no means a "mediocre" groomer but with working 6 days a week, raising a two teenage daughters, a husband and running a business, it was hard to find the study time--and though I did pass with a "B" average, for as much as I did study and how many years I've been grooming, I was hoping for higher scores. I'm not saying it should be easy to certify with any organization but for alot of us, there isn't enough time in the day to get everything done we need to do including studying for a certification.
Again, I'm not saying we all need to lower our standards I just think that those people in mid testing should be given an exception and start reinforcing the rules on a certain date for new testers.
Why punish those who have already invested their time and money to better themselves".

EXACTLY and exactly.
This has to do with A LOT more than high or mediocre scores and raising the standards, etc.- there are other issues here that aren't being or going to get explained- IMO- it is what it is, and it's sour grapes.

luvpups
11-06-08, 05:46 AM
EXACTLY and exactly.
This has to do with A LOT more than high or mediocre scores and raising the standards, etc.- there are other issues here that aren't being or going to get explained- IMO- it is what it is, and it's sour grapes.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, someone sees my point.

nanhall
11-06-08, 05:56 PM
Good News For All of You Worried--

A change on time--
Old scores will apply until Dec 31st, 2008. Starting January 1st, 2009 the
new mandate will be a score of 86% or more. For those working toward applying for CMG -
your old scores will apply until July 1st, 2009
A Certificate will be granted for NS, Terrier or Sporting for grades below 86%. Again all CMG are grandfathered in.
We will be in Atlanta in March!

Email Me if you have a question--
hayley.keyes@ipgcmg.org
or
hayley@nanhall.com
or my cell: 336-340-7915!
Education and Excellence that is what a Master Groomer IS.

Moonpiepoodlz
11-06-08, 06:12 PM
I'm sure I'm saying this for all those in the process of testing: THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
I don't know if this board/thread had anything to do with your change of rules, but I think you did an extremely good thing and I hope all those in process take up the chance to continue with the process.

Good News For All of You Worried--

A change on time--
Old scores will apply until Dec 31st, 2008. Starting January 1st, 2009 the
new mandate will be a score of 86% or more. For those working toward applying for CMG -
your old scores will apply until July 1st, 2009
A Certificate will be granted for NS, Terrier or Sporting for grades below 86%. Again all CMG are grandfathered in.
We will be in Atlanta in March!

Email Me if you have a question--
hayley.keyes@ipgcmg.org
or
hayley@nanhall.com
or my cell: 336-340-7915!
Education and Excellence that is what a Master Groomer IS.

nanhall
11-07-08, 05:19 AM
Yes- I am listening to all of you!
Hayley

Moonpiepoodlz
11-07-08, 07:54 AM
Hayley,
Again, thank you so much for making the changes. I feel like I made a difference in what you guys have been doing as far as changes go and I think alot of people will appreciate those changes.

Shawn

Yes- I am listening to all of you!
Hayley

littlepaws
11-29-08, 06:21 AM
ok, I am not a member of IPG but am striving to take the certification in the near future. I have witnessed some very interesting grooms be passed by IPG in the past that I as an owner would not be very happy with the groom. So I am glad that IPG is raising the standards. It makes me strive that much harder before I go for my certification.

As far as the "grade" thing. It was put to me this way in nursing school. Have you ever asked your doctor or nurse what their grades were in school BEFORE they worked/took care of you? No sir! You pretty much ASSUME since they have a degree that they are at the top of their class and know what they are doing. Well they could have "squeeked" by with a 75. Trust me, many a nurses did! It will make you think twice now when someone is coming at you with a needle or scalpel. Do you want a 75% nurse/doctor or a 99% doctor? I personally want the latter of the two.

My point is it's no different with grooming, I assume when they are a Master Groomer they are a 99% groomer. So why bellyache about it and strive to do your personal best. We are all on this board to get respect as groomers. To get it you have to earn it. So earn the higher GRADE.
As far as making them repay to retake the test, I think they should be allowed one free retake to bring up their grade. Because that is what they would be doing bringing their grade up essentially if they are as good as they say they are. You can't take talent away from someone.

henrythe8th
12-04-08, 03:56 PM
I am just now preparing myself for certification. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the point of certifying to show that you are the best of the best, and being the best doesn't that mean that you can take any dog and put it in breed profile regardless of conformation? Is this not what makes us 'the best of the best'? The higher score just means we have to study harder and we had better know our stuff if we want the credential, correct?
Not trying to stir the pot, just want a better understanding for putting the energy needed toward certifications. Thank you!

Gracy Rose
12-04-08, 05:23 PM
I finished my CMG last October. I know that there are a lot of changes going on and I have to respect those who have taken over to try anf turn IPG around. Over the last few years as Judy became ill there are a lot of things that fell between the lines- not by her fault but because there are some times when we are in over our heads and we have to focus on US before anything else.

I for one ACED my writtens but had lower scores with practicals. Everyone is different and everyone tests different. I came to Chicago to do mine and did ALL of it at once.

I know super smart people who don't have enough common sense to come out of the rain. I know a dipstick who was Validictorian because he took easier courses.

Scores mean little to me it is just a way to compare.

nanhall
01-03-09, 01:48 PM
For those that have stood by me-- Thank You!

For those that looking for dates to certify - Please start with-
www.ipgcmg.org
and go to the forums

We have have on going list of shows and dates!

nanhall
02-17-09, 06:46 AM
For those wishing to certify at Atlanta Pet Fair, Certification Testing is available to APF Attendees. The application deadline is 2/19/09.

You must register with Atlanta Pet fair and with Hayley Keyes.

www.atlantapetfair.com
Hayley.keyes@ipgcmg.org or Hayley@nanhall.com

336-340-7915 cell
336-852-9867 work
336-299-7164 fax

Arrooh
02-17-09, 10:23 AM
that Hayley and Linda really did work with me to help me get my title. I was so scared that I would have 6 tests that I passed tossed out. In spite of their help though I still strongly do not think passed tests should ever be 'unpassed'. No education system that I know of would do that. I also think that there should not be a time limit, since that was part of the reason I started, knowing that at least once a year at the expo I could do a couple if that's what I chose till I made it. That said, again, talk with IPG if you are in that kind of a situation.

Repeating: For those part way through please speak with IPG representatives rather than be upset. They really did care that I passed.

I also will say that the criteria for practicals was pretty specific. I didn't get that feeling so much so last year at the Expo. It was hard and no way do I have any feeling of doing anything with mediocrity. I was darn proud of the dogs I did, yet still I can see and was pointed out that there is room for improvement.

I have to thank almost all the IPG people for their help. Please as I said, if you are part way, talk directly to them.

nanhall
03-28-09, 10:42 AM
Intergroom April 17 19th
Groom Classic May 2 & 3
NDGAA Groomfest May 30 June 1st
Nanhall Pet Spa July 11 & 12
All American August 14 16
Groom Expo in September 18 20th
New England Show Nov 30 Dec 1st

If anyone would like to certify at any of these shows--
Please contact Hayley Keyes at Hayley.keyes@ipgcmg.org or Hayley@nanhall.com
also you may contact Linda Easton at Linda.easton@ipgcmg.org or K9Concepts@aol.com

Also if any Grooming Club would like to have IPG Information Package for their Club Members
Please contact Linda or Hayley.

Again Thanks To Everyone for Their Support of IPG