PDA

View Full Version : Petco Grooming School vs "Private" school

samandtweet
02-08-07, 12:20 PM
I am ready to start grooming school. March 1 at CT School of Dog Grooming. Someone mentioned to me what about going through Petco's school. They may be cheaper, but then maybe you get what you pay for, though not in all cases.

I have heard that Petco makes you work for them for a year after you have finished the program and I thought a non-compete thing after after i leave, but would that be for just a certain radius around the store I trained at. So, this leaves me thinking the other school may be better.

Rebekah
02-08-07, 02:08 PM
Where in Ct is this grooming school? I also had no idea that petco teaches grooming.

HoundLover
02-08-07, 02:47 PM
yes petco does require that you work for them for a year after completeing school. i didnt go to the petco school ( i am being trained under a groomer), but i did work at petco as a bather for a couple of weeks then left. personally i would rather go to a known grooming school than a petstores grooming school. nothing against petstore grooming schools...but they all seem to follow the latest fad...grooming schools, doggy daycare centers in their stores, boarding..etc.
JMHO
Hound

workingchihuahua
02-08-07, 03:25 PM
i went through petco's school. you will spend 4 weeks (40 hours a week) in a small class, then spend 4 weeks working one on one with an experienced groomer. then go back for 2 weeks of advanced training. it is a total 420 hours. i was very fortunate to apprentice with a fabulous groomer. the 4 weeks of working with someone is what sets them apart. you will owe them a year, but that is time well spent learning your trade. the non compete clause which is valid for 6 months after you leave, is not just that store , but any petco. in some states they can not enforce a non compete. you would need to check that out. don't be too quick to discount petco. i wouldnot be the groomer i am today without the woman i apprenticed with and the year spent honing my craft. i have had my own, very successful mobile grooming business for 6 years now. as you are in CT, please PM me if you have any questions.

PETLOVER23
04-20-10, 01:44 AM
I am interested in that program you went through at petco how would i find out about it and wats it all about how much does it cost and all that info would be great thanks

liljinx
04-21-10, 09:47 AM
I'd love more info as well. I've applied to the Petco bather position and grooming internship as I have yet to find a groomer in GA that is looking for an apprentice, although since I haven't heard from Petco yet I'm still looking and hopeful in all areas. Does the school charge, the write up on the website says they do not.

Thank you for any information.

Smart-n-Pretty
04-21-10, 11:40 AM
You will owe them 2 years or $5000.

liljinx
04-21-10, 12:05 PM
you will owe them 2 years or $5000.

eeeshhh

Dog Daze
04-21-10, 02:01 PM
eeeshhh

Whats wrong with that I paid $4,500 for 12 weeks or 600 hours of school five years ago. At least at petco your training is ongoing once your done with grooming school you are done. though since I was working right away they let me hang around an extra couple of weeks.

liljinx
04-21-10, 02:32 PM
Whats wrong with that I paid $4,500 for 12 weeks or 600 hours of school five years ago. At least at petco your training is ongoing once your done with grooming school you are done. though since I was working right away they let me hang around an extra couple of weeks.

Seems a bit steep to me with an included non-compete clause. So you pay them 5,000 and agree not to use the knowledge for 6 months?

RudyRoo
04-21-10, 03:31 PM
Seems a bit steep to me with an included non-compete clause. So you pay them 5,000 and agree not to use the knowledge for 6 months?

You have to work for them for 2 years after you finish their school OR you owe them the $5000. The non compete at another corporate was 10 miles for 6 mos after employment with their company. If you go to their school and then work for them for 2 years, you owe them nothing. It's totally understandable,, other wise people would get free training then bolt.

Smart-n-Pretty
04-21-10, 04:09 PM
You stay with the company (at their mercy as far as rules--usually made by non-groomers), what dogs you get, when you work, what store you are at, etc a couple of years OR you repay what they think 4 wks of "academy" is worth. They tell you the other groomers train you after "graduation" but, those other groomers are your competition. I have heard from groomers that work at corporate salons the money is good after a couple of years but, in the meantime you had better have a husband to support you & you are way over regulated. All the groomers I know that work at a corporate salon do nothing but, gripe about work. I never worked corporate so, their words are the only thing I have to go on. Once in awhile I hear a groomer (Like Working Chi) say how great it is but, for every one of those I hear 20 saying it sucks.

I'll be interested to see if this post makes it through moderation because the are sponsors of this board.

wanted4ewoking
04-21-10, 11:35 PM
(edited: no identifying your employers please)

Smart-n-Pretty
04-22-10, 12:51 AM
At least at petco your training is ongoing once your doneIt would have to be since school only lasts a month. That's what? 20 days?

wanted4ewoking
04-23-10, 12:02 AM
How my store works is after being hired as a bather/brusher for 30 days you can apply to go through the grooming program. You have to buy your own equipment (clippers, blades, etc) but you get a discount through the store. Then it is 6 to 12 weeks of training both bookwork and hands-on. Once graduated your obligated for one year. If you left right after training you would owe $5000 if you left after 6 months you would owe $2500, etc. Its good training but the workbooks can get a bit "corny" in spots :) In my opinion the most important thing would be finding the right person to work under in any store, I am blessed to have had my manager for training, she does fabulous work and knowing what I now know I wouldn't want to be trained by some of the managers at the other stores.

I would like to open my own shop very soon just saving up the $$$ It is a good learning experience but just not one I want to have the rest of my career....

HOTW
05-07-10, 11:04 AM
Petco it is one year after the schooling and they train in house and it depends a lot on who is training. I was a satellite trainer and was better then the place they sent people to-i saw 3 people go thr the training and all that was emphasized was shave downs.

PetSmart was 2 years but they were sending people to a well known school(this may have changed) .

I went to a private school and they seem to depend on the teachers ability to teach. I have seen some that i would not recommend to anyone and others that are exceptional. Do not discount privat ein house apprenticship either! Some of the best groomers i have met went thru an appreiitceship. It is really about knowing what you want. I was lucky I worked for a boarding kennle that did lots of grooming so were assistants in groomign as well. After nearly a year i knew what I needed to learn and which direction i wanted to go so checked out the local school and found it was worth it. A few years later the teacher i had was gone and the quality had changed. So a lot depends on the people in house!

felzenhaus
05-07-10, 07:13 PM
Just my two cents worth. Two friends in different states went to work at a pet corporate store. One already was a good groomer so didn't need schooling, but found out quickly she couldn't pay her bills, didn't get regular dogs, if there was another groomer that had seniority she didn't get dogs, but was paid to work out on the floor, had to stay hours even when only a small few on the books. She finally left for a privately owned grooming shop. The other one was hired in Oct and was promised school in Jan. Jan came and went and school was pushed back another month. Beginning March she finally quit, couldn't pay her bills either. I know it does work out for some, but if you could find a groomer looking for an assistant and they would teach you, that would be my recommendation. Good luck

CR12991
03-25-11, 06:01 PM
I'm a bather/brusher and will soon be going to Petsomethings grooming school. I'm trying to find out more info on the whole process. No one I work with seems to have the answers. My manager has told me the mentoring afterward will last for 14 weeks. As for the whole school process, the location is in a different state from where I work. I'm wondering how the classes are spread out, if I would need to stay in that area during my schooling. None of the groomers I work with were trained at Petco so they can't enlighten me on much.
I have been told that PetSmart's schooling is 10 weeks and they believe Petco's program is longer but that's about as much as anyone can tell me.

As for the year commitment, I am aware of that clause and have no issue with it. I love my work environment and my coworkers and can see myself staying there for much longer.

Kayote
03-25-11, 09:16 PM
Erm. Working for a petsomething, I was trained through their "school" program, and my manger was my teacher. She was an AWFUL groomer, and rough with the dogs. She left in the middle of my training, and completely didn't count for about a year. Right after she left, me and another groomer had to go at it like we knew what we were doing.
They decided that FINALLY this week, they want us to become certified, after a YEAR AND A HALF of no training. Fortunately, I had this site, blogs, and so on to learn from, and willing customers that allowed me to practice and hone my skills. The other? She just got progressively worse, and now that's it's time to get certified, and I doubt either of us will pass.

Not saying petsomething is ALL bad, but it's still disappointing, and my store, as well as my district, had no idea what to do with us, so they made us groom without any proper training.

If I do get "certified" I have to serve a year under petco. After my interview with a vet office, I don't think I want to. :/ We will see.

Just be careful. Wherever you go.

JaimieFW
03-29-11, 07:36 AM
In my OPINION, I would not recommend being trained by any business like Petco, Petsmart etc.

groomerstacy
03-29-11, 09:58 AM
regardless of where you attend school, it is not the place, it is the staff/instructors / groomers.
i think this is a field built on time. time in the saddle. if you can, go in and meet the isntructors.
best of luck. i just started school in the west and it is a dream. (private school)
;)

Synnersangel
04-01-11, 09:42 PM
I work for ***** and it's the same as far as the school goes. You go to school for 4 weeks and then apprentice under your salon manager til you reach a certain amount of dogs and types of cuts... Now as far as how much you will learn about the cuts depends on your area and who you are working with. I met one girl who went to grooming school and was salon manager of a petco and than came to our company and she had never even hand scissored a dog and never had to shave down huskys which in fl they do alot!! Also she cut a few dogs because she was just thrown into the salon and never trained properly.. So it depends on your area you work in and the people you are training with. I mean I went to a grooming school and wasn't even showed how to maintain my blades or do terrier cuts, or hand scissoring or anything, than I came here and started learning alot from the girls I work with and one of them showed poodles and went to the melissa verplank school when petsmart use to send you there to learn, than started to do their own academy's and the other girl I worked with showed bichons and had to apprentice under a show groomer/ handler and owned her own shop and than started working for petsmart. So I learned alot! But as far as the corporate aspect goes it's ok we stay open til 10 during december.. grr and your schedule is written for oct- dec by August or late sept and you can not ask for vacation days after nov 5th which i understand but it sucks. Also lots of safety rules and annoying things like surveys that rate the customers experience and then you get yelled at if one person doesn't mark everything as a "10". now my salon only brings in 7,000 to 8,000 a week so we get looked at under a microscope a lot more than say a 10,000-13,000 a week store. So the corporate ratings and numbers part sucks.. but the upside is I get paid vacation and personal days and if it's slow I still get paid an hourly rate to just sit there and wait for customers. Also I get benefits and discounts and if I need to move to another state all I have to do is transfer. So if you can handle corporate stuff it's fine. Also because it's corporate the prices are set and I sell add ons and turn a 45 dollar dog into a 72 dollar dog and i can easily bring home 400 to 600 dollars a week by only doing 4 to 5 dogs a day. One of my friends I went to school with has to do 8 to 9 dogs a day in the private salon and bring home the same amount. So corpoarte is add ons unless you can find a private salon that does the same.. probably a lot easier in bigger cities. good luck!

skinnydogz
04-03-11, 06:39 AM
I'd love more info as well. I've applied to the Petco bather position and grooming internship as I have yet to find a groomer in GA that is looking for an apprentice, although since I haven't heard from Petco yet I'm still looking and hopeful in all areas. Does the school charge, the write up on the website says they do not.

Thank you for any information.

No, they don't charge but you have to buy your own tools/equipment. From what I've been told, you get a good discount on the clippers. I applied there over and over again and didn't hear back from them. I went there in person and that's what it took. The more dog experience you have, the better your chances. If you don't have any, at least study breed books or look on line (the AKC site perhaps). I didn't go through their grooming school because I had gone to a school 18 yrs. before (I would have liked to go through it though because I forgot so much). My mentor/manager did give me some extra books from the school though.

As workingchihuahua said, if you get a good mentor, you'll do well. They'll probably only want you to do their pet grooming as opposed to show/breed specific grooming. You can learn on your own by studying though. I hope I didn't break any rules here. I'm just trying to help and didn't say anything negative. I picked up a lot during my short stint there. I LOVED grooming but left due to health issues. I still drop by to say hello and to show how my standard poodle puppy is coming along.

If money isn't an issue and the grooming school goes into great depth, I'd probably go for that. Lots to think about, huh?